cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More Kagan love

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk...e-asshole.html
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

a highlight:

Quote:
That epic saga of triumph against the odds, from the Upper West Side to Cambridge, to Hyde Park to Georgetown, back to Cambridge, and finally back to Georgetown, is not just Elena Kagan's story. It is, in some sense, the typical story of every Asshole in the Harvard community; nay, the American Asshole community at large. But no matter how padded our resumes, no matter how brown our noses, no matter how many faculty parking permits on our Subaru Foresters, it never seems enough in the eyes of America's non-Harvard power elites who laughingly deign themselves worthy to sit in judgment of us. I was shocked as you when I learned that -- even in this late date in our history -- some have openly suggested there are 'too many' Harvard-trained Assholes on the court, even as that number barely exceeds 60%. No thanks to its unwritten Affirmative Action program for Yalies. And now it appears that Professor Kagan will be compelled to face a public inquisition by a panel of her inferiors, some of whom I am told are actually are products of Cornell. For God's sake, what next? Brown
Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's good to be frequently reminded that the world is very clubby.

Power always seeks to be consolidated and controlled.

Make yourself into a sword with a keen edge, those that seek to overthrow the world, to overturn the tables in the temple, and one day the master may wield you too.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Make yourself into a sword with a keen edge, those that seek to overthrow the world, to overturn the tables in the temple, and one day the master may wield you too.
*can you imagine Krakauer's hissy fit if he read this?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I have a friend/acquaintance from high school who did Harvard undergrad, Yale law, clerked for one of the federal appeals courts, she has worked in the Justice Dept. And has worked for a high-flying legal firm in DC. She has been president in law societies. I did an image search, and she is hobnobbing with Alito. She is married to a legal professor, their engagement was announced in the NY Times.

She was a bright kid, from a modest financial background, from what I remember. Big time nerd.

And now she flies in an orbit so far above me, I am a speck on an invisibly small ant.

She is in the club, she has the connections, she will probably end up doing things at a level that us peons will never sniff.

What if she had gone to Univ. of Texas law school? I think her life would be much, much different.

By the way, she has published twice, so I think she is essentially qualified to be on SCOTUS.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Btw, this friend of mine is truly bright. I was around a lot of bright people in high school. She was among the brightest, and arguably the most talented of them all.

While some of us are honing our jump shots and watching sitcom re-runs on TBS, other people are doing work that takes them into the fastlane. We all have choices. But some of us have less options than others.