cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it advisable to ride daily?

Back when I'd work out in the gym (now a fading memory) I'd obviously never work on the same muscle group two days in a row. Is the same advice applicable to cycling? Or is it not because cycling is much more aerobic vs anaerobic. Which brings me to my next question: what percentage of my ride, if any, should by anaerobic?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want your oil changed when you are 65, maybe not good idea to ride everyday.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you want your oil changed when you are 65, maybe not good idea to ride everyday.
This brings up another question: I did my first medium distance ride last week (40) after about 20 miles my boys were just numb - past feeling, if you will. Is this just the way it is? Yes, I had riding shorts. Maybe a new seat needed? I'm using the stock seat.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
This brings up another question: I did my first medium distance ride last week (40) after about 20 miles my boys were just numb - past feeling, if you will. Is this just the way it is? Yes, I had riding shorts. Maybe a new seat needed? I'm using the stock seat.
Never experienced sleepy peepy, sucks for you I guess.

You could ride every day with little or no effect.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Never let your boys go numb. That means you are damaging your nerves.

No nerves, no changing oil.

It might be a crappy seat. Also crappy pants. Maybe you need to do a better job of moving around on the seat and getting the blood flowing.

So the answer: no it's not normal, but it can happen, and you should prevent it at all costs.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

You can usually ride 5 or 6 days a week without too much problem, just so long as your workouts are varied. Most coaches recommend doing a hard, anaerobic workout no more than twice weekly, possibly up to three times weekly in highly trained riders. Even during those workouts, the anaerobic portion is in repeating intervals between 30 secs and 10 minutes. Other than that, most miles for fitness should be in the 60-85% range.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Never let your boys go numb. That means you are damaging your nerves.

No nerves, no changing oil.

It might be a crappy seat. Also crappy pants. Maybe you need to do a better job of moving around on the seat and getting the blood flowing.

So the answer: no it's not normal, but it can happen, and you should prevent it at all costs.
Sounds good. Seems to me this should be a yellow warning label on the handlebars of every road bike, no? "Are you're boys sleeping? Stop and wake them up!"
Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
The boys were numb or the butt was numub? Numb butt needs more time in the saddle and is no big deal. Numb nutz means somethign is wrong, and could be 1. bad shorts; 2. bad saddle or good saddle that is bad for you; 3. poorly adjusted saddle. Make sure that the nose (narrow) end of the saddle isn't too high. Your weight shouldnt' be on your taint, it should be on your sitz bones.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The boys were numb or the butt was numub? Numb butt needs more time in the saddle and is no big deal. Numb nutz means somethign is wrong, and could be 1. bad shorts; 2. bad saddle or good saddle that is bad for you; 3. poorly adjusted saddle. Make sure that the nose (narrow) end of the saddle isn't too high. Your weight shouldnt' be on your taint, it should be on your sitz bones.
These are good tips, thanks. I think the answer is 2 or 3.