cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am not at a computer right now, but a search on my phone suggests that in Texas wages cannot be garnished due to hospital debt. Also that Texas has laws that make nonprofit hospitals more accountable for their collection practices.

I know for certain that in Texas your homestead cannot be taken due to this kind of debt.

I repeat I have never once heard of anyone going bankrupt because of medical bills.

How productive is it to sue poor people?
You are viewing a lawsuit to collect debt as an expensive procedure. It isn't. It is dirt cheap. In 99.9% of the cases, the suit is uncontested, meaning you have a small filing fee, small attorneys' fees (likely under $500) and a very quick judgment for everything you asked for. This is particularly true for large organizations who have to sue multiple people for debt. They will have one attorney (low cost) who runs all judgments through at very high and fast rates, possibly filing dozens per day.

Judgments are VERY easy to get. So yes, these types of judgments are very common. It may be Texas has some special rules on this type of debt, but most states don't.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You are viewing a lawsuit to collect debt as an expensive procedure. It isn't. It is dirt cheap. In 99.9% of the cases, the suit is uncontested, meaning you have a small filing fee, small attorneys' fees (likely under $500) and a very quick judgment for everything you asked for. This is particularly true for large organizations who have to sue multiple people for debt. They will have one attorney (low cost) who runs all judgments through at very high and fast rates, possibly filing dozens per day.

Judgments are VERY easy to get. So yes, these types of judgments are very common. It may be Texas has some special rules on this type of debt, but most states don't.
Many states do have various protections against health care debt. Perhaps in a barbaric state such as California, one does not, but although medical costs bankruptcies exist, they are rare and exaggerated by those who want to subsidize health care for everybody.

I am familiar with the lawyers who do hospital collections and it is rare for a bk to based solely on health care debt. The scare tactics of the Left are exaggerate the risk for political convenience.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Many states do have various protections against health care debt. Perhaps in a barbaric state such as California, one does not, but although medical costs bankruptcies exist, they are rare and exaggerated by those who want to subsidize health care for everybody.

I am familiar with the lawyers who do hospital collections and it is rare for a bk to based solely on health care debt. The scare tactics of the Left are exaggerate the risk for political convenience.
According to this study, about 19% of bankruptcies are caused by health care debt. That is hardly rare.

http://www.hschange.com/CONTENT/1017/
Old 03-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
According to this study, about 19% of bankruptcies are caused by health care debt. That is hardly rare.

http://www.hschange.com/CONTENT/1017/
Wow, imagine if Obama and Pelosi et al. had used this figure instead of the ones they actually used.

Well, let's not let a good lie get in the way of our devious aims.

If bankruptcy is the problem, then maybe we can change the bankruptcy laws. Versus having the govt. take over the healthcare sector of the economy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:12 AM   #25
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow, imagine if Obama and Pelosi et al. had used this figure instead of the ones they actually used.

If bankruptcy is the problem, then maybe we can change the bankruptcy laws. Versus having the govt. take over the healthcare sector of the economy.
lol. Our bankruptcy laws aren't the problem; failing to be insured and incurring huge healthcare costs as a result are the problem.

While you're fixing healthcare by changing the bankruptcy laws, could you fix my lawnmower by changing the light bulb in my front entry? Thanks!
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #26
Cali Coug

Quote:

How exactly do you think the government is taking over the health care sector of the economy? Almost every conservative parrots that line but none of them can say why they think it.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
How exactly do you think the government is taking over the health care sector of the economy? Almost every conservative parrots that line but none of them can say why they think it.
Because this legislation is the foot in the door.

Obama is on the record supporting single payer. For him, this was the "middle of the road" take. It's not what he would have chosen.

2012 will be interesting. Because it is now clear to America, that it elected a liberal radical. The liberal GWB. A divider.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
lol. Our bankruptcy laws aren't the problem; failing to be insured and incurring huge healthcare costs as a result are the problem.

While you're fixing healthcare by changing the bankruptcy laws, could you fix my lawnmower by changing the light bulb in my front entry? Thanks!
Huge healthcare costs, and govt. takeover is the solution?

You do know that this law doesn't cut costs, right?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #29
Cali Coug

Quote:
Because this legislation is the foot in the door.

Obama is on the record supporting single payer. For him, this was the "middle of the road" take. It's not what he would have chosen.

2012 will be interesting. Because it is now clear to America, that it elected a liberal radical. The liberal GWB. A divider.
In other words, it ISN'T taking over health care, you just think eventually it will lead to something that will.

Carry on then.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #30
Cali Coug

Quote:
Huge healthcare costs, and govt. takeover is the solution?

You do know that this law doesn't cut costs, right?
Wait- you just said this bill isn't a government takeover. You should read Waters from 2 minutes ago.