cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If we're going to nominate a liberal woman, SU's wife would do just fine by me.
Lapsed Catholic.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Lapsed Catholic.
Those are the best sorts.

I have no objections to religious make up of the Court. I'd really love an agnostic/atheist/empiricist on the Court.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This Obama thing about Kagan being a regular person who understands everyday Americans. It makes me want to puke.

Kagan is from New York City (if Kagan is seated, 4 out of the 9 justices will be from NYC). She attended Princeton, Harvard, has spent her entire adult life either in the ivory tower or democratic politics in Washington. I guess had a very brief stint at one of the top law firms in the nation (SU says, I don't know).

THIS IS A CONSUMMATE WASHINGTON INSIDER, FROM THE IVY LEAGUE GOOD OL BOY CLUB!!!!!!!!!!

I hate Obama and his lies.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This Obama thing about Kagan being a regular person who understands everyday Americans. It makes me want to puke.

Kagan is from New York City (if Kagan is seated, 4 out of the 9 justices will be from NYC). She attended Princeton, Harvard, has spent her entire adult life either in the ivory tower or democratic politics in Washington. I guess had a very brief stint at one of the top law firms in the nation (SU says, I don't know).

THIS IS A CONSUMMATE WASHINGTON INSIDER, FROM THE IVY LEAGUE GOOD OL BOY CLUB!!!!!!!!!!

But Mike, if you only attended elite schools along a gilded path, you too would think Elena is a normal person.

I mean doesn't everybody attend a private prep school, go to school in NYC and/or Chicago and end up at Harvard? That's a normal person's life, don't you know?

Plus from an East Coaster's perspective, everybody who is anybody lives or has lived in NYC.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

you forgot lesbian. She may also be a lesbian.

Kagan is a woman, apparently a lesbian, from New York City (if Kagan is seated, 4 out of the 9 justices will be from NYC). She attended Princeton, Harvard, has spent her entire adult life either in the ivory tower or democratic politics in Washington. She was appointed to the Supreme Court by a black president.

Every Mormon's nightmare scenario! lol This explains what happened to Bennett in Utah. There's much right wing rage out there.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
Archaea

Obama and Kagan:

Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Archaea

My personal favorite of the five boroughs is:

Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:

what is it you want, Mike? just some person in private practice from Indiana? Make that Nevada. Arch? It's rare for a nominee to be picked whose not a sitting judge, so at least you have that difference. I don't even know what an "everyday" person looks like? Are you suggesting they pick a non-lawyer?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

See, I guess I was sort of hoping for Diane Wood because she's supposedly the most liberal from the short list. I just think that would make it a more interesting fight. I haven't been following the Kagan editorials too closely, but I haven't noticed any pitchforks yet.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
what is it you want, Mike? just some person in private practice from Indiana? Make that Nevada. Arch? It's rare for a nominee to be picked whose not a sitting judge, so at least you have that difference. I don't even know what an "everyday" person looks like? Are you suggesting they pick a non-lawyer?
I know longer would oppose somebody simply because I disagreed with one's legal views or especially political views. However, I want somebody of a judicial temperament, with a keen intellect, somebody who's lived enough to understand real people are affected by the case and by perhaps the precedent, and that somebody is a person of integrity, not swayable by who the litigants are.

Most of the time, it should be a sitting judge, somebody with a distinguished career, somebody who wasn't afraid to address controversial cases.

If it's a non-judge, that person should have a distinguished career as a litigator, having won large monumental cases.

And I want geographical representation. Justice O'Connor was Arizona, and not my favorite justice, but I still respected her pedigree.

Nominee Kagan is a non-judge, her writings are sparse and nothing special and she has no distinctions in her litigation career. By those standards she is unqualified.

And she eliminates geographic diversity by virtue of her domiciles.

Those are my reasons for opposing her.