cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default McChrystal

I am flabbergasted that we have this kind of loose cannon in charge of things. If he shows this kind of poor judgment (repeatedly!) in his rhetoric, what kind of poor judgment is he using in his actual duties directing our armed forces.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, douchebag. You work for the people, and the President is our representative. I may not always like what President Obama does or says but GDammit, HE IS THE PRESIDENT AND GET IN LINE.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I like Andrew Sullivan's commentary on the relationship between power and press, in relation to McChrystal:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...cchrystal.html
Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I was in complete "shock and awe" when I read what he said. My first impression was that the rolling stone reporter must have cooked up some "special brownies" for McCrystal and his staff. How else could a seasoned general say, and allow his staff to say such things. Did they really think that a Rolling Stones reporter was "on their side"? The minute they opened their pie holes, they became the story.

Once I got over that initial reaction it became clear that this was a huge lack of professionalism and decorum. A dearth of either is intolerable in someone in his position. It was clear that he and his staff saw themselves as above their positions and kings in their own little fiefdom in Afghanistan.

Honestly, I can almost empathize with the guy. Here he is on the other side of the world. Over there you feel so isolated from the rest of civilization. Your world becomes contracted as it begins to revolve around a very small center of gravity. The FOB commander is really an all powerful monarch (ala Apocalype Now) that rules with either an iron fist or with benevolence, yet demands absolute loyalty. You get 3 hots and a cot and you do your job and keep your head down.

Now in this environment where McCrystal is really a "warlord" in his own right, seeing a conflict where his hands are being tied by politicians who do nothing but get in his way. He sees boys dying because of the handcuffs placed by his higher ups. The frustration builds, over the span of 2 years. He and his staff have only themselves to complain to. His staff, wanting to please Ceasar soon bye into the rhetoric of "us vs. politicians". He sees that his civilian counterpart is a pathetic and weak person. (McCrystal is a special forces guy and this mentality of us versus the world is bred from the beginning). Finally, with an opportunity he and his staff burst in front of the reporter. The bravado, the pomp and pride of "us versus them" comes out in droves. The rest is history.

McCrystal had to go, no questions asked. You cannot have a guy in charge with that kind of attitude. It is contagious to the rest of the troops. The sense of isolation is even worse out in small FOB's and COP's where the warlords are lowly captains and majors. If they see their boss getting a free pass, that mentality will spread like wildfire.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Thanks Zulu for your unique perspective.

McChrystal's guys are pushing back.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Rings hollow.