cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 10:03 PM   #21
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jefe sees this ...

... board as a competitior, therefore he will not tolerate references to it. The Ute board(s) do not really detract from his 'client' base, so he has no problem with links to it. Still, it makes you wonder why it is ok to reference cougarfan.com, as it has an active discussion board. He even allows article links from the site. It leads me to believe he has it in, specifically, for this site. It makes sense as the members of this board would pretty much come from his board on a 1 for 1 basis, so there is almost a complete, direct relationship.

It should make Jefe realize his board is SEVERELY lacking in some significant ways if a number of his longstanding personalities want to spend more time on another board to discuss things not allowed on his site. He is sort of acting like a Microsoft in its attempts to strangle out the competition. I like his board and I will still spend time there, but I have been a vocal voice in the past with him and the moderators to open up discussion more (I am a "Committee" member after-all). This site allows for the things I was hopeful would be allowed there. I am not alone in this apparently.

It is just a matter of time before religious discussions are allowed with more depth over there. They are already planning for it to a degree, but if this board is having success, it will force more change over there to try to prevent more loss of 'clientele'.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:09 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Somebody made a valid point

that Jefe would be better off running the technical matters, and perhaps business, while allowing others to moderate.

His moderation tendencies are borderline weird and over the board.

His software there is very good. And with the volume there is constant discussion. However, I do not believe he will ever allow the nature of discussion allowed here.

Mind you, none of us want this to be an anti-Mormon site, and it needn't be an apologetic site, but honest inquiry should be allowed.

An occasional barb should be allowed.

Jefe has the mentality that many in the Honor Code have, shoot first and ask questions later.

Yz Guy's penalty is an example of Honor Code office abuse, and Jefe's severe limitation on religious discussion is another. They are intending to allow some, but I gather it won't allow some of the stuff already discussed here.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #23
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You are probably right Arch ...

... I cannot see an AG thread going over on that site. I just hope people don't get the wrong view of me after too many posts here. Some will probably think I am a borderline apostate. I am probably aptly described as a heretic, but the topics that interest me and draw my comments are the more controvercial topics. I have no qualms about revealing warts and being a straight shooter (LOL, no sexual innuendo meant with that sentance!). So people tend to think I am borderline, when in fact I am a believing Mormon. I believe some things differently than most, but I believe the important things, e.g., that God lives, that Jesus is the Savior, that we are here to learn to love ALL mankind. If we obtain this love and are bestowed with Charity (the greatest gift of God), then we attain true at-one-ness with God, because God is love. Though we could work miracles, if we do not have this charity, we are NOTHING. Moroni 7, IMO, the greatest chapter of ALL scripture. The gospel is faith, repentance, baptism of water and fire. That is all there is too it. The rest of the stuff is just window dressing and can be debated ad-nauseum. That is why none of that stuff affects my testimony. In the big picture, it all doesn't matter, only the things I mentioned really matter, IMO. Sorry for the soap box testimony.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I agree

the core stuff is true, the window dressing interesting but I am not smart enough to discern all the wheat from the chaff.

We enjoy your thoughts. I am not afraid to discuss something which is simply murky, and am ready after discussion to shelve it for another time until I can view it with another perspective.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #25
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
no, not if you wear a trashbag on your head.
It's not a trashbag! It's a freakin' alien mind control helmet. Idiot!

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to point out that the A-G conversation took place over days, and that wouldn't happen on cougarboard, the way the software is setup.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote