cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Selling current house, and buying another one....QUESTIONS

Hopefully within the next few months, I will be moving. When we bought the house we currently live in, we were renting, so we did not have to worry about using the profit from an existing house for the down payment on our new house. This time, we have to deal with this situation though. We will need to use most of the equity in our current house, as the down payment on our new house.

For those that have done this before, how did you handle it? Being in California, I am afraid if we make an offer on a new house contingent upon selling our current house, that the seller will not want to deal with it. Why wouldn't they just take an offer from someone else, without such a contingency? So...if we find a house we want to buy, BEFORE we find a buyer for our current house, what should we do? Should we get a "bridge" loan to use for the downpayment, until we sell our current house? Or should we use a home equity line of credit, instead of a bridge loan?

On the other hand, if we find a buyer for our current house, before we find a new house, I guess the best thing to do is make the escrow period as long as we can, to give us ample time to find a new house? Or I have also heard of people renting the house they just sold from the new owners, while they look for a new house.

Any insights on this would be appreciated.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unless you can carry both houses, you must make

it contingent.

However, you can modify the contingency stating you have the option if notified that somebody else is making a noncontingent offer to remove the contingency within a certain time. That can appease both parties.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default That is a good idea, if we go the contingency route...

What about using a HELOC or bridge loan for the down payment though? This way we would not have to make the offer contingent on selling our house.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: That is a good idea, if we go the contingency route...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat
What about using a HELOC or bridge loan for the down payment though? This way we would not have to make the offer contingent on selling our house.
That's what I'd do. Nobody up here will even look at a contingency offer. There's no reason to when they can sell it to someone else the same day.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote