cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Article on possible Pac 10 expansion

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2...-trigger-more/

The Pac 10 would have to hold its nose taking the University of Utah, given their academics (note the huge gap between BYU and Utah in the USNAWR rankings).

If I am the Pac 10 I take Colorado and BYU. This makes the most financial and academic sense.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_...ider-expansion

Quote:
Bringing in Utah and Colorado might be a winner (Salt Lake City and Denver markets), and at least one Pac-10 athletic director said that's the most likely scenario. Of course, prying Colorado away from the Big 12 might not be easy.
If this were to happen, I would support BYU never playing Utah again. Screw them. We don't need those commuter-school inbreds.

If BYU were to remain in the MWC, most likely revamped with the addition of Boise State and Fresno State, and perhaps Nevada. This would be a hard pill to swallow.

One would hope that BYU could finagle its way into the Big 12.

Dear General Authorities,

Please let me make the case for BYU in the Big 12. While I know you would rather be in the Pac 10 due to the large LDS footprint on the West Coast, and for the acceptance from the academic elite you think this woudl signify. I disagree.

LDS presence is known (and saturated) on the West Coast. LDS are much less well-known in the Big 12 footprint. This will introduce LDS history and values to a new group of people. Especially in the South, which is the last religious group left in the United States.

At one time, Joseph Smith seriously considered moving the Saints to Texas. It may be time again, to move the Saints south. The Mormon spirit of independence and the Texan spirit are kin. Let the Saints go where they will thrive. We need not be enmeshed in the political correctness of the Pac 10. Let us go to the Big 12 where freedom reigns.

Keeping it Real and True,

Mike Waters
Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Please tell me you'll send that letter!

"Keeping it real and true". Awesome.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If this were to happen, I would support BYU never playing Utah again. Screw them. We don't need those commuter-school inbreds.
Utah would still be willing to go down to BYU's level and play them, as long as they agree to a 2-for-1.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Academic rankings in MWC, CUSA, and WAC:

Rice 17
Tulane 50
Southern Methodist 68
BYU 71
Tulsa 88
TCU 110
Utah 126
Colorado State 128

All other teams are Tier 3, Tier 4, or not ranked.

Boise State is the most notable flunkie (not ranked).

Rice, Tulane, SMU are not candidates for expansion to BCS.

Colorado, rumored to be desired by the Pac 10, is ranked 77 (which is behind BYU).

Univ. of Texas is 47, which of course is excellent for a public university.

Colorado and UT would be prime pickups for the Pac 10. But Texas is unlikely. You would think the next most credible choice would be BYU or Utah. Utah because it is a secular research university in the West, and close to the West Coast, and brings in the SLC market. But Utah is a commuter school with only recent support from the community for football. BYU is the larger school with larger following and brings more $, but is politically unpalatable for the West Coast liberal elites, and would cause problems with Sabbath desecration.

Tulsa is a possible, but unlikely, candidate for Big 12 expansion.