cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Michcougar cracks me up

After mentioining that he makes more than $200,000 per year he says:

Quote:
How many of you give away more than 60% of your services every day? How many of you have treated your fourth person with a sore throat who CALLED THE AMBULANCE to bring them to the ER, because Medicaid covers it?
There's so much sacrifice going on, it brings tears to my eyes.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1453945
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road
Default He does bring up something that sucks...

My wife says it's really sad to see all these people crowding the ER with things like a runny nose because they have no access to another Dr. and because Medicade will pay for it.

She's a PA and it pisses her off. She thinks they do it because they know it's free and it doesn't require any planning or forethought on their part.

I just thing the system sucks in general.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

They do it because they don't have insurance, and the hospital has to take them.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not all who lack insurance are devoid of resources

Many students would rather risk and save the premium, cuz hey, we're young, we won't get sick.

I have employee who turn it down, one just out of laziness in filling out the insurance forms. It's his way.

It is popular rhetoric that you can't get affordable insurance, and for some people, quantity unknown, that's true, but lack of insurance is a complex problem.

People do go to hospitals for routine medical problems due to EMTALA. It's America's public health care. And the rest of us subsidize it.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Default Re: He does bring up something that sucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE

She's a PA and it pisses her off. She thinks they do it because they know it's free and it doesn't require any planning or forethought on their part.
It's not free in the sense that most of them are sent a bill. Of course most don't pay it, and it gets sent to collection agencies. And of course these folks have zero credit ratings.

In big cities the indigent usually have a hospital program that allows visits to the doctor. This is also where medicaid comes in.

I'm just remarking that Michcougar complains of nonpaying patients when he makes more than 99% of Americans.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

Default He went in to it for the wrong reasons...

If you're going to complain about people not being able to pay you then he picked the wrong profession.

The reason it pisses my wife off is that it is counter productive. It clogs up the ER and some people don't get the level of care they deserve.

She could care less if they pay their bills. But then again, she doesn't make $200K per year and she is a Democrat (filthy Godless Dems got my wife).
Old 09-24-2005, 01:02 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I agree it is not effective use of the ER.

However perhaps Archie can chime in on this, EMTALA strictly applies to emergencies. If you come in with the sniffles, EMTALA ought not apply.

It is kind of funny that most Americans have this idea that doctors should work for free. They are so spoiled by 5 dollar copays that they have no sense of obligation to actually providing fees for services when other situations arise.

Like asking me to do physicals on kids when they all have insurance. To save them 5 bucks.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default once stabilized, EMTALA doesn't apply.

triage first.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:44 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

can't a nurse triage the patient to an outpatient referral?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:48 AM   #10
DirtyHippieUTE

Default Free Medical Care...

I think I've been misunderstood. I don't mean to say I expect doctors to work for free. What I mean to say is that doctors end up doing a lot of work for free. That's just how it is. If you're going to worry about not getting paid, you should be an electrician. Doctors (and PAs) end up doing a lot of stuff and not getting paid for it.

I don't know if there is anybody checking up on her, but I know that the AAPA expects all PAs to do some kind of free work (volunteer) every month.

As far as neighbors pimping the MD down the street for free advice or the Bishop asking you to do physicals for all the deacons going to scout camp. I think that really sucks.