cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the fastest anybody has completed a century?

For me, I haven't done any too fast, as in one I was with my wife, in another with a buddy and others some gals. So I had to go back and help.

My wife to her credit had never biked more than forty miles before her first century, and tooled along just fine. It took us about "seven" hours. Which is fine for her. We didn't paceline or anything. Because it was with my wife, it was worth it. With my buddies we tooled along in about 5 h 30 min. Again I had to go back for them.

I've always wanted to torch one. My buddy did Tour de Tucson in 4h22 min. I was impressed but would not have stayed with him.

Just wondering what type of times are out there.

Just for comparison, when I do an Ironman or train for one, I try to get my 112 in about 5h 15 to 20 minutes. If I try for faster, my legs will be torched for the run. I know you young studs can brag about your sub fives but it would blast me for the run.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long ago, in a youth that is far, far away, I did one in

4:50, but it was a pretty flat course (otoh it was about 109 miles because we got lost). I was with a couple of other riders and we pace-lined throughout. I was the weakest rider by far. Towards the end it was like a USPS TTT; my uncle, playing the part of lance, pulled me and the other guy for about the last 20 miles all by himself. I hung on for dear life.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Obviously a lot of it depends on the amount of climbing involved.

For 8000-9000 feet gain, best is about 6 hours.

The flattest century I've done is 4,500 feet. Best there was about 5:30.

Anything flatter than that seems like it would lull you to sleep. Unless, of course you try to really rock it. I would love to do that also some time, just to see how fast we could do it.

I would love to break 5 hours one of these days.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well Tour de Tucson could be calling your name

http://www.pbaa.com/Home.html#ElTour

You get special awards for breaking five.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
bluegoose

I'm there, tucson that is.

If you could just talk to wife for me first. she won't listen to me. she keeps saying that this baby is coming in 2-3 weeks and I have to be there for some reason.

something about moral support. i just hope the tv in the delivery room is working.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
bluegoose

Default Re: Long ago, in a youth that is far, far away, I did one in

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
4:50, but it was a pretty flat course (otoh it was about 109 miles because we got lost).
Creekster you are the man!!!

That is smoking. What does that average out to be in mph? About 22-23mph I'm guessing.

So with the tandem in a few months we can plan on 4:40 then? Don't worry, I'll do my part. I did the route last year, so I can navigate the streets to get us out of town. But after that I am just hanging on and enjoying the ride.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 AM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I always claimed 24 mph, buyt I think it was more like 23.

To tell the truth, my uncle is the man. He was a track bike rider (an alternate on the 68 Olympic team) and also did a fair amount of road racing. I would pull for about 10 seconds at about 21 or 22 mph as would the other guy and then my uncle would pull for about 2 miles at some speed like 25 mph and, like I said, he literally pulled the whole time for the last 20 miles. I was in my 20s and in much, much better shape and much lighter than I am now. When my wife and I ride on the tandem we are somewhere between 16 and 20 mph on average, depending on the day and the stoker's interest level. So that is pretty slow, but the tandem gives a very strong pull. We could probably do just over 5 asuming you don't count the rest breaks. :-)

Btw, my uncle was amazing when he was younger. I recall once he and I were out riding (he always went slowly for me) and some kids came by on a mini-bike, threw a couple of water ballons at us and took off. My uncle politely excused himself and RAN THEM DOWN and cuffed the passenger on the back of the head, scaring the crap out of him much more than hurting him (they didn't realize he was coming) and then told them to never do that again. I was truly amazed.

Several years ago he got back into it and went to the Huintsman ganmes in St. George in the master's diviison and (if memory serves) won gold in the road race and the time trial and took second in another event (I may have the events mixed up, but the point was he won two golds and one silver) Pretty impressive guy on the bike.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:08 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
For 8000-9000 feet gain, best is about 6 hours.
If you're talking about Ashland then that would be my best time too. I've gotten consistently slower since that one.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote