cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #31
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I challenge you to name a politician today that doesn't fit your description.
I don't even like Palin or Huck, but at least they can pretty accurately make the claim that they're no fortunate sons.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I don't even like Palin or Huck, but at least they can pretty accurately make the claim that they're no fortunate sons.
I'll concede that they are not fortunate sons.

But no politician has ever not sold out. I'm not sure why Romney gets less slack for this.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #33
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
But no politician has ever not sold out. I'm not sure why Romney gets less slack for this.
He's not as good at selling his sell-out. It goes back to the thing about his trouble reading the people and responding appropriately.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He's not as good at selling his sell-out. It goes back to the thing about his trouble reading the people and responding appropriately.
That might be, but he appears to be decent at governing. He's not a great salesman, but he is a good mechanic or operator by appearances.

I wonder if it's more jealousy, i.e., coming from royalty and not kissing royal liberal asses. If you're rich, you must behave like a Kennedy, not a Rockefeller to be popular with the masses.

RHG's response is just odd to me, and I know you're not a fan of him, but I always wonder why results never seem to matter in judging a politician.

Most voters seem to judge them on their rhetoric and their ability to make their inconsistencies seem consistent. A very odd standard by my book.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #35
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ouch! Quite a slam!

Quote:
There are those who feel that he represents the worst of politics: a fortunate son and opportunist willing to sell out to the highest bidder. His positions have been all over the political map.
I don't know if you feel that way, but I can't let that one go by. If Mitt is a "fortunate son," he is a very smart, talented and hard-working one. There is no reason to think he would not have been successful no matter who his father was. He's also been a bishop and a stake president, and I don't care what the cynics say, that means something good about him. I do think he lacks the unctuousness (is that a word?) of a Huck or the crowd-pleasing abilities of a Palin. But he's a man of integrity, no sell-out. He cannot be bought, because he's too wealthy. And he was one very effective public servant. He should not even be mentioned in the same breath as GW Bush in terms of communication skills -- Mitt's biggest problem was that he sometimes talked too fast. He was not a challenged communicator like GWB.

Anyway, I did not want to give the impression that I don't love and admire the guy. I do. He'd have been a fine president. But he lacks the gift of gab that some politicians (Obama, Clinton, Reagan, Palin, et al.) have. There are worse sins for politicians.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #36
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
I don't know if you feel that way, but I can't let that one go by. If Mitt is a "fortunate son," he is a very smart, talented and hard-working one. There is no reason to think he would not have been successful no matter who his father was. He's also been a bishop and a stake president, and I don't care what the cynics say, that means something good about him. I do think he lacks the unctuousness (is that a word?) of a Huck or the crowd-pleasing abilities of a Palin. But he's a man of integrity, no sell-out. He cannot be bought, because he's too wealthy. And he was one very effective public servant. He should not even be mentioned in the same breath as GW Bush in terms of communication skills -- Mitt's biggest problem was that he sometimes talked too fast. He was not a challenged communicator like GWB.

Anyway, I did not want to give the impression that I don't love and admire the guy. I do. He'd have been a fine president. But he lacks the gift of gab that some politicians (Obama, Clinton, Reagan, Palin, et al.) have. There are worse sins for politicians.

But you need a feeble opponent to prevail against, and Mitt is not Obama's oratorical equal. So unless the economy remains in shambles, his chances are minuscule. The scene of him singing, "who let the dogs out" was embarrassing, as Mitt is no hipster.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #37
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But you need a feeble opponent to prevail against, and Mitt is not Obama's oratorical equal. So unless the economy remains in shambles, his chances are minuscule. The scene of him singing, "who let the dogs out" was embarrassing, as Mitt is no hipster.
Mitt is certainly Obama's oratorical equal, he just may not be Obama's rhetorical equal. Mitt sticks to reason and proposals, while Obama adds the sweeping emotional cadences. People respond to that, but they respond to that better from an unknown than they will from an Obama that has four years in the books. "Yes we can!" doesn't work following "oops, I didn't."

It's impossible to say what the circumstances will be four years hence. There's a widespread sentiment that Obama is facing so many difficulties that this will be a four-year presidency. But the Republicans need to get their act together now, figure out who they are and where they're headed, in order to make the four-and-out Dem administration a reality.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #38
Archaea

Quote:
Mitt is certainly Obama's oratorical equal, he just may not be Obama's rhetorical equal. Mitt sticks to reason and proposals, while Obama adds the sweeping emotional cadences. People respond to that, but they respond to that better from an unknown than they will from an Obama that has four years in the books. "Yes we can!" doesn't work following "oops, I didn't."

It's impossible to say what the circumstances will be four years hence. There's a widespread sentiment that Obama is facing so many difficulties that this will be a four-year presidency. But the Republicans need to get their act together now, figure out who they are and where they're headed, in order to make the four-and-out Dem administration a reality.
Obama is a master politician and a formidable opponent. Until the Republicans get their act together, he's there as long as he wishes. Please NO HILLARY as SoS. God, I thought we were rid of here. One the saving graces of Obama was the elimination of Hillary from the political world, the worst of all worlds.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-19-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #39
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In one sense, I can see why Republicans don't want Mitt, he's not a natural politician and comes across stilted. The communication part and relating to people part is his weakness, not to the level of Bush, but he is still weak in that department. My post is more directed to RHG than Babs.

OTOH, he reveals what the process really is, by his flaw. In the actual mechanics of government he appears effective, discounting for his lack of communication skills.

I can see why somebody is blasee about him, but what about him blows so much that you would dislike so immensely?

To me, he's a smarter version of Obama without the public speaking polish of Obama. He has more credentials. What's his character flaw or personal policy flaw? Mind you I fault him for courting the evangelicals, damn them to hell, but that was a strategic flaw, nobody needs them.
So much about politics--in my opinion, ESPECIALLY at the POTUS level--is about polish, packaging, and perception. And in the end, I think most voters take in all the information they have and go with how the candidates make them feel (and how they arrive at that will be various).

Recall the way that McCain at the end was trying to go with this "you don't know who Obama really is" thing. Only instead of amping up the lack of experience (his real weakness), he amped up things like his association with Ayers. I don't think that resonated with people because most people know people who have made serious mistakes in their pasts. But then you take somebody like Mitt, who looks like he's molded from a Ken doll, whose deeply held beliefs seem to change with the wind, and it makes for a more legitimate case of "I don't know what he really believes."

And didn't someone around here cite his former bishop/SP status as instructive on this somehow? Seriously?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #40
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Obama is a master politician and a formidable opponent. Until the Republicans get their act together, he's there as long as he wishes. Please NO HILLARY as SoS. God, I thought we were rid of here. One the saving graces of Obama was the elimination of Hillary from the political world, the worst of all worlds.
Why would you ever think we were rid of her? She's not going anywhere, baby.

I actually don't think she'll end up as SoS, but that girl is going places!
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote