cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CSU took Bronco to the woodshed

back in 2003. That was the most painful game I ever endured. I am sure they will happen again in the future as all things are cyclical with respect to sports, but I just believe that embarassment has a similar impact on Bronco as the 2001 AF blowout had on DeBerry. Don't get me wrong, Bronco is not a bitter type. Not that he has any more class than DeBerry, the dude appears to me to grasp a bigger picture and understands that petty jealousies are not conducive to a winning program. That said, his defense has been as well prepared for CSU the past two years as any game they played each season.

I think BYU will come out to play this saturday. In time the sting of that embarassment will be erased from Bronco's memory, but I still think that he remembers that horrendous Thursday evening. I sure do.

I also think that even while I believe the BYU defensive backfield is not as good as the front 7, they controlled Tulsa's passing offense decently. I think Tulsa has a better passing offense than CSU and I know they have a better run game. With the injuries to the CSU OL, BYU will rush 4 at the most, probably still pressure Hanie and sit back 7 into a zone coverage. The Rams have great athleticism at receiver, I think they have the most athletic receiving corps in the conference, but 7 guys can cover a great deal of space. Hanie will make enough mistakes to stall drives.

When BYU has the ball I struggle to see BYU not scoring on 60-70% of its drives. CSU has a decent MWC defense, perhaps even a good one. But BYU has a really good offense and it is clicking like two hot oiled exotic dancers. The leopard skin thong will be riding tight Brethren, Cougs by 21 or more!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I agree. Caleb Hanie is prone to turnovers and with the BYU defense and their penchant for causing them this year....#1 in the Nation, I like our chances in getting some short fields for our offense to work with.

Also, even though Nate Meikle isn't exactly a speed demon, I'm surprised at the holes our Special Teams kickoff units have provided for him. Because of this and his shiftiniess we've had some great starting field position.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I agree. Caleb Hanie is prone to turnovers and with the BYU defense and their penchant for causing them this year....#1 in the Nation, I like our chances in getting some short fields for our offense to work with.

Also, even though Nate Meikle isn't exactly a speed demon, I'm surprised at the holes our Special Teams kickoff units have provided for him. Because of this and his shiftiniess we've had some great starting field position.
BYU being #1 is not so much that our defense is so good at takeaways, it is because the BYU offense gives it up as often as Laurel Class Presidents on Prom night.

Keep the thighs close together men, keep the thighs close together!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU also has a high number of takeaways, nationally.

This year, the ball seems to be bouncing our way, but luck only knows a mistress who is both willing and able.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU is 18th in turnovers created and 1st in fewest turnovers lost and 1st in turnover margin.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
n time the sting of that embarassment will be erased from Bronco's memory, but I still think that he remembers that horrendous Thursday evening. I sure do.
That was probably the nadir of the BYU football for me. To endure a thrashing like that on your home field on national TV was just too much. And CSU didn't even seem to be trying that hard. We just rolled right over.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Was that the same year as the home Boise State fiasco?

Boy, both of those were horrible, but I felt Boise State was worse, as we were literally hapless in defense and Sonny eventually let up whereas Boise State did not.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Boy, both of those were horrible, but I felt Boise State was worse, as we were literally hapless in defense and Sonny eventually let up whereas Boise State did not.
I think so. Yes, that was a disaster also.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #9
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think so. Yes, that was a disaster also.
What you call a disaster, I call compelling TV. A disaster is Utah-Boise St.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The Boise State game score is misleading as far as the defensive performance goes. The defense largely shut down BSU for the first 3 quarters with most of BSU's points coming from turnover returns for TDs and special teams play. The defense finally wore down in the 4th quarter as the weight of 3rd string Mortensen going 5 for 24 took its toll.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote