cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road
Default A Clockwork Orange

I finally got to watch A Clockwork Orange, and it has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. Malcom Mcdowell's character "Alex" is the most chilling and interesting acting performance I can remember.

How does the book compare to the movie, is it worth reading? And for those who have seen the movie did you like/dislike it?
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not read the book. I have seen the movie, but it was many years ago and I don't remember much about it but that it was disturbing. Perhaps that's why it is considered a very good movie - it's shock value really stands out and causes a rather large impression upon viewers.

I ought to watch it again now that I'm a bit older and allegedly more of an adult.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

The book is better because you are better able to understand what Alex is thinking, his psyche, and how he perceives his acts of ultraviolence...or better said, how numb he is to them.

Also, there is some background and context for the nadsat/droogspeak, which in the movie sounds like Russian on LSD...actually, given the contents of the drinks at the Korova Milk Bar, it probably was Russian on LSD.

I thought the movie was excellent, though. Especially the sequences with the Ludovico Technique.

Sometimes I think that reading CB is a great exercise in Ludovico Technique.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote