cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
fine you tell me what episode tom cruise didnt want aired.....
Episode 912, "Trapped in the Closet".

You were referring to the correct episode, but your details are wrong.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Episode 912, "Trapped in the Closet".

You were referring to the correct episode, but your details are wrong.
what a lame ass....

cant even admit you are wrong. have to throw in the, 'but your details are wrong.'

ha, ha, ha, ha...

again my question to you, can not a man stand up for his religious beliefs and make a moral stand as tom is doing?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
what a lame ass....

cant even admit you are wrong. have to throw in the, 'but your details are wrong.'

ha, ha, ha, ha...
You are one pathetic individual.

You'll notice I quoted a PART of your post. And then said you were wrong.

Which means that you were wrong about THOSE PARTICULAR DETAILS.

Quote:
Again my question to you, can not a man stand up for his religious beliefs and make a moral stand as tom is doing?
Sure can. Protest is fine. Tom can complain all he wants on Oprah or Ricki Lake. Using threats to obtain your ends is lame.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I must admit that I am going to side with Lingo on this one.

ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:

Making a public announcement to denounce how your faith is portrayed in a cartoon is one thing (I could respect that). But applying extreme financial pressure behind the scenes to remove said cartoon from public ciruculation is a stupid move that I hope will blow up in Tom's face.

And this does not even compare to the manner in which the church expressed concern over Big Love.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with homeboy and Johnny, though not his rhetoric, that the effort to exert financial pressure to remove the cartoon is not right. The cartoon, not one I have watched but once or twice, as far as I have read, has a history of lampooning everybody. I took it as a badge of honor that Mormons have risen high enough to be lampooned. Tom should take it as well.

Not cool, tom.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #16
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
I must admit that I am going to side with Lingo on this one.

ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:

Making a public announcement to denounce how your faith is portrayed in a cartoon is one thing (I could respect that). But applying extreme financial pressure behind the scenes to remove said cartoon from public ciruculation is a stupid move that I hope will blow up in Tom's face.

And this does not even compare to the manner in which the church expressed concern over Big Love.
wowzers....

its crazy the right bitches about the left, and when a person from the 'left' bitches about the content of a cartoon and expresses his right to complain we call foul....

you all are missing the point. im sure mr cruise thinks his beliefs are just as sacred as the ones we hold. if somebody openly mocked our beliefs, and shared our secrets, im sure there would be public outcry among the lds community and subsequent boycotting of the perpetraitor....

thats essentially what he is doing. he is saying, i will not support an organization who distributes stuff against my sacred beliefs....

youd think the right would applaud the man since he is taking a 'moral' stand....
Old 03-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

it is one thing to stand for one's beliefs, it's another thing to exert political and financial pressure.

Did we see any LDS exerting financial pressure because we were lampooned?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #18
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11

you all are missing the point. im sure mr cruise thinks his beliefs are just as sacred as the ones we hold. if somebody openly mocked our beliefs, and shared our secrets, im sure there would be public outcry among the lds community and subsequent boycotting of the perpetraitor....
I totally disagree fus. And what's more, they have openly mocked our beliefs. They had Joseph Smith with a seerstone in a hat for goodness sake. I certainly don't feel the need to back Cruise on this at all.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11

I totally disagree fus. And what's more, they have openly mocked our beliefs. They had Joseph Smith with a seerstone in a hat for goodness sake. I certainly don't feel the need to back Cruise on this at all.
mocked is the wrong word....and have you seen the joseph smith episode?

how about revealed....

scientologists guard their beliefs as much as we guard our rituals, practices in the temple. south park revealed to the audience exactly the secrets, scientologists labor to hide in secret.

if an organization were to do that would we not boycott their products? how do we feel about the stanford band and their portrayal of polygamy?

i believe south park has the right to do whatever they want. i also believe tom has the right to say, hey, this crossed boundaries, and im not comfortable with an organization who exploits my personal beliefs.

im sure if we were all tom and a south park episode aired showing our temple ceremonies and discussing what happened there we would have about the same reaction.....
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't like scientology, and I don't care for Cruise, but I agree with Fus on this one. Freedom to express and act on your beliefs is one of the freedoms this country is all about. There is no reason one should be prevented from using all legal resources in a legal way on behalf of any issue in which you believe. Am I to understadn that many of you think it is ok to stand up and speak, but that you shouldn't use economic pressure? So, no boycotts are ever allowed, and we shouldn't choose what stores to patronise based upon any factors related to policitcal or personal or religious issues. Whether it is a good idea or not is different from whether it should be allowed. If we resent Cruise for standing up for his beliefs, then how can we support efforts to ban gay marriage, or attempt to lobby school boards with reepect to our childrens' instruciton, or oppose efforts to publicly ridicule our church? Look, I don't think Southpark is worth the effort, but apparentl Cruise did and I really can't criticize him, on that level, for ahving done so. Whether it was prudent is another issue.