cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think BYU and Utah continue to play OOC

at least in the near future.

Mainly because it is a lucrative game for both schools. Helps sell season tickets.

But that will change over time. What was kind of a fake rivalry will become even more fake and strained.

Obviously it won't matter in terms of conference championships. And it won't be played at the end of the season. Those two things take away a lot of luster.

It may become something like CSU vs. CU.

I wouldn't mind seeing it end altogether.

Pac 10 better hope that Utah continues to be successful in football. Because without the recent success you have merely a commuter school that doesn't support its sports. But the Pac 10 is so terrible, I think Utah can do well, at least for now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Your assessment sounds valid.

In any event, I don't see a purpose now for the rivalry. It was traditional and historic, but some rivalries are meant to last and some are not. This one will not really return in yours or my lifetime. Sometime if our great grandchildren witness something grand like BYU being allowed to party with the likes of OU and Texas, then maybe the proximity may make it interesting again. But the lack of a common conference kills the rivalry, most likely in a whimper.

Utah will look down upon the religious folk at BYU, and will try to act like the cool kid from Palo Alto, thinking the west coat elite care about anything other than the increased revenue.

BYU will continue to try to scrape by and to live off financial scraps. Hopefully we will look east for a rival, TCU, but probably it will be BSU. I would like a visionary at BYU, but that will pass after Samuelson and Holmoe.

May Sammy be the last GA for President and may we encourage a Rondo Fehlberg to arrive on the scene.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Is it really shocking that Utah fans would act like the worst kind of noveau riche?

BYU's destiny is to operate in its own little niche. BYU will be no better, and no worse for Utah leaving.

The most likely scenario is that the MWC becomes one of the big boys over time. There does need to be one more conference in the West.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is it really shocking that Utah fans would act like the worst kind of noveau riche?

BYU's destiny is to operate in its own little niche. BYU will be no better, and no worse for Utah leaving.

The most likely scenario is that the MWC becomes one of the big boys over time. There does need to be one more conference in the West.
But apparently the number crunchers tell me Utah's departure robs us of that luxury.

Let's hope somebody's working overtime to get something done.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just win, baby. That's all it takes. Keep destroying the Pac 10 like our conference has recently in both football and basketball.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Just win, baby. That's all it takes. Keep destroying the Pac 10 like our conference has recently in both football and basketball.

The bad thing is, this will be a down year for BYU in football and an okay year in basketball.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Yz1

Yz1 is on a distinguished road

I don't quite understand why the rivalry dies with Utah's move.

Florida-Florida State
Georgia-Georgia Tech
Texas-Oklahoma (up until 1996)
Florida State-Miami

are all great rivalries between teams without conference ties. Another advantage is to have a OOC game with such little travel costs. Over the long haul that could provide significant financial dividends (less trips to Syracuse, BC, Virginia, or even Washington).

I would like to see the game stay at the end of the year.
Yz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yz1 View Post
I don't quite understand why the rivalry dies with Utah's move.

Florida-Florida State
Georgia-Georgia Tech
Texas-Oklahoma (up until 1996)
Florida State-Miami

are all great rivalries between teams without conference ties. Another advantage is to have a OOC game with such little travel costs. Over the long haul that could provide significant financial dividends (less trips to Syracuse, BC, Virginia, or even Washington).

I would like to see the game stay at the end of the year.
Because it is of local color only.

When it meant something in conference, I enjoyed it. I'm not a Utahn, have no Utah connections and likely will never reside there again, as I did for the BYU part of my education. There is nothing I inherently dislike about Utah, so if we're not in the same conference, we are of no concern to each other. Maybe we want to schedule them because they will remain a "BCS" school which we stand a good chance of defeating, but I'd prefer to schedule Texas A&M, because a school like that, though at times crappy, adds more color.

However, it won't be a game I'd travel to see but it would be a game I might watch on tv.