cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 AM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

cougarboard has its exclusive communities. they are so exclusive that some people obviously don't know about them.

how much information is exchanged in "friends only" posts. a lot.

cougarboard requires that you pay to be able to read religion posts (and political ones too?).

cougarguard has never aspired to be cougarboard. and vice versa.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:29 AM   #42
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
There is no 'constitution' here, like there is on CG. It is an oligarchy. My complaints were an attempt, within this community, to change the character of the board. They failed.

It is a problem with oligarchies that the character of the community is largely defined by how it is seeded in the first place. I had hoped to change the character of the original seeding. I thought I could do it.

How should my complaints sound? I suppose they should different on a board that purports to be open to ideas, and claims to be an open forum, than they would on a board that clearlly defines what it is.
And yet here you are, still fighting the good fight. I am just curious: how many other oligarchy windmills are you tilting at out there in internet land? I, for one, am so grateful you are here to help us see the error of our ways, even if we choose not to change.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:28 AM   #43
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
cougarboard has its exclusive communities. they are so exclusive that some people obviously don't know about them.

how much information is exchanged in "friends only" posts. a lot.

cougarboard requires that you pay to be able to read religion posts (and political ones too?).

cougarguard has never aspired to be cougarboard. and vice versa.
Both those communities are a natural GROWTH of people with common interests and common ideas. They are an organic development, and they are self-selecting. They are natural sub-communities within the larger community, and there is no limit to the number of these communities that can exist. Personally, I find the oligarchical and exclusive nature of the two private communities on CG to be a problem. You talk about the exclusivity of having to pay to participate on CB. I have no problem with paying a measily ten dollars to support a genuine community where I know I will be able to be a full participant. With hundreds of posts on CG, I suppose I invested some fifty hours of my life, and opened up many very personal ideas and private facts about myself to the board. I value that time and information far more than a measily ten bucks, but I saw it as an investment in community, so I had hoped that it would be worth it. In retrospect, considering what that investment brought me, the ten bucks I donated to support the CB community has been an incredible bargain compared to what I invested here.

You have a good thing going here. Keep it up. Consider the strengths and weaknesses of the program. Be open to change. I would like to participate in a meaningful way, but I am not going to make the mistake of over-investing in a 'community' that I can't be a part of.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:38 AM   #44
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
I am just curious: how many other oligarchy windmills are you tilting at out there in internet land?
Just the ones I care about.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:17 AM   #45
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
I am just curious: how many other oligarchy windmills are you tilting at out there in internet land?
Then indeed we are fortunate. Maybe we could put that to a vote, eh?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #46
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
And one more thing:

Quote:
Isn't this whole thread based on Mike complaining about getting a slap on the wrist for using the term 'fubar' on CB?
That is a complete mischaracterization of the first post in this thread. Go back and read it. It was simply an observation.
Oops, my bad. But YOUR first take on it was to comment on how little provocation it takes to get korihored, and Mike's first response below his initial response was the same.

Considering the title of the thread, your first response, and mike's second response, I don't think my response is a 'complete mischaracterization of the first post in his thread.'
My first take was with tongue firmly in cheek. I reserve the right to express amusement when a term like "FUBAR" is cause for suspension.

And none of that invalidates my primary point: you are the LAST person I would ever expect to get self-righteous regarding those who bitch about board rules.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #47
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
And none of that invalidates my primary point: you are LAST person I would ever expect to get self-righteous regarding those who bitch about board rules.
Hmmm... nobody else has mentioned the REAL purpose of Mike's first post (that he isn't willing to die for Sectarian violence?), and the title of the thread is about getting korihored.

Whatever.

If pointing out that saying 'fubar' on CB is an obvious violation of the clearly worded board rules makes me self-righteous, then that is what I am. If I started my own board, 'fubar' would be allowed. But I can appreciate the clarity of the rules on CB.

As for bitching about the 'rules' on CG, what are the rules? Outside of a ban on bigotry, it seems that there are some traditions, and that is all. Complaint has a different place in this environment than it does it a place like CB, where the rules are clear, and the rule of judges is absolute, and generally pretty fair.

But sometimes it seems that the 'I got korihored on CB' posts on this board are the nauseating equivalent of complaining about athletes forgoing missions for sports threads on CB.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #48
Robin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then indeed we are fortunate. Maybe we could put that to a vote, eh?
Well I won't hold my breath.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the reason people discuss their suspensions here is that it is against the rules to discuss them on cougarboard.

cougarboard is the pressure. cougarguard is the valve.

almost all these posts are ones of amusement, not white-knuckled fury.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #50
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If pointing out that saying 'fubar' on CB is an obvious violation of the clearly worded board rules makes me self-righteous, then that is what I am. If I started my own board, 'fubar' would be allowed. But I can appreciate the clarity of the rules on CB.
Ah, I see. As long as the rules are "clearly worded", any comment on those rules (or the application of the rules) even in the form of mild amusement, is off-limits. Thanks for the clarification.

(I am guessing that somewhere this morning, Lingo is having an orgasm as he reads this.)

:roll:
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote