cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 AM   #11
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I BYU wants a player they will take him at the minimum academic standards like any other school in the NCAA.
there are a few schools that don't....Stanford is one that I know for a fact. I am sure there are some others. Notre Dame fans claim this is the case with their school but I don't have first hand knowledge of that.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
If BYU wants a player they will take him at the minimum academic standards like any other school in the NCAA.
Well, this is certainly news to me.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
So the stories about the Utes getting kids we don't even recruit because of academics is a lie. Filiaga choosing the U because of academics was a lie? If it is a lie, it is one that has good footing amongst fans.

This isn't football, but I have never heard of a kid getting expelled for church attendance at BYU before. I will also bet the rules at BYU are laid out in much more detail than ever before. I have also never heard the number of missionaries in the program ever mentioned so often in prior coaching regimes.
On academics, it's pretty simple. If we recruit guys that end up not coming because they fail to qualify NCAA. And we recruit some guys and pray over their ACT test and they barely pass and we sigh with relief, then it goes to show that BYU has no academic standard that is higher than anyone else for incoming athletes. Now Filiaga did mention something about academics in the article where he announced the change to Utah. He got the impression that it would be harder to get good grades at BYU than another school. I have never heard that before from an athlete. I guess it's possible that's true or the perception is true.

As for the religious standards...you can't point to something Bronco is doing and blame it on the environment Bronco is stuck with. The baseball player thing would be quite a change, but word is that bishop was being a maverick and his decision is being overturned.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
mikebd

mikebd is on a distinguished road

It is true that recruiting is important. I am just not sold on the ability of the recruiting websites to predict who will be good. Bronco has much more credibility with me than those sites do. I'd rather get a Max Hall than a Ben Olson any day. And Bronco's recruits have done a good job when called on. No one thought Dulan was going to ever see the field and he started as a 17 year old. I do get excited about who else has offered our recruits and by that standard we had a great year. USC wanted Afutiti apparently. Florida wanted Holt. Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina wanted to get Chambers. USC was supposedly very interested in Murphy. Oklahoma and Texas were interested in Yeck. It goes on. I don't think that Bronco was saying that recruiting isn't important, just that we shouldn't get too excited or disappointed over a highly ranked recruit who hasn't proved anything on the field.
"We don't really care how many recruiting stars a player has when he comes here. Every player, once he comes to Provo, starts out with no stars. What we care about is how many stars he has when he leaves."

Last edited by mikebd; 02-09-2008 at 03:55 PM.
mikebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I know some are spinning this saying the recruiting services ripped us off, but is this kind of ranking acceptable? By my count, we didn't land 50% of the top LDS even if you go down to about the top 15. Bronco's winning with Crowton recruits. His soundbytes about no stars and we're above recruting rankings aren't gonna cut it in four years if the talent level doesn't stay high.
Tell you what, familiarize yourself with how these evaluations are REALLY done and then decide if they are really accurate or complete enough to be pissing and moaning about.

Furthermore, at least a couple of those top LDS recruits really weren't pursued by BYU for whatever reason(s).
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote