cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
What Spaz says is true. The only caveat is that both the Marriott Center and LES have what are commonly termed "stadium donors". These stadium donors coughed up money for the construction/expansion of facilities. One benefit they receive is the right to purchase season tickets for specific seats each year for the duration of their lifetime as well as the duration of their children's lifetimes without any further donation or contribution. They only need renew their tickets every other year in order to maintain this right.

The problem with the stadium donor program is that it was a spectacularly shortsighted thing for BYU to do. Now, BYU struggles to reward high-priced donors with good seats because many of the best seats are basically "owned" by stadium donors that don't make any ongoing contribution to the program other than buying their tickets each year. Big-shot Cougar Club guys who donate $5K or more each year sometimes can't get as good of seats as the stadium donor who donated $5K one time back in 1981. Basically, BYU sacrificed long-term valuable seat real estate in order for short-term gain to defray the cost of construction. A colossally short-sighted and overly-fiscally-conservative decision.

I don't begrudge those who are stadium donors the rights they have. They knew a good deal when they saw it. I sure wish my old man would have donated back in the early 80s when the stadium was expanded. However, I think the stadium donors should be paying what the tickets are really worth. Thus, I say jack the price up. $450 for a prime west-stands chair seat on the 50 yard line is still very cheap. That's only $75 a game. BYU should double those ticket prices.

BYU should jack them up to what the traffic will take. It isn't double $450, I guarantee you that. If you had a BCS type schedule, maybe, but not our schedule.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
BYU should jack them up to what the traffic will take. It isn't double $450, I guarantee you that. If you had a BCS type schedule, maybe, but not our schedule.
I think his point was to over-price the seats so those who have the stadium donor status decide not to renew, thus making those seats more available to the regularly-donating public.

Personally, if I were wealthy to the point I felt I had $5,000 expendable income, I would be happy spending $900 on 2nd-row, 50-yard-line tickets. And I'd stand at appropriate times during the game as well. Schedule would be less important to me than winning.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I think his point was to over-price the seats so those who have the stadium donor status decide not to renew, thus making those seats more available to the regularly-donating public.

Personally, if I were wealthy to the point I felt I had $5,000 expendable income, I would be happy spending $900 on 2nd-row, 50-yard-line tickets. And I'd stand at appropriate times during the game as well. Schedule would be less important to me than winning.
How many seats do the stadium donors occupy?

I actually enjoy my non donor seats more than the donor seats. You think blue hairs are bad at BYU, you need to sit with the wine & cheese crowd at SC to fully appreciate people with a bloated sense of self entitlement.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post

I actually enjoy my non donor seats more than the donor seats. You think blue hairs are bad at BYU, you need to sit with the wine & cheese crowd at SC to fully appreciate people with a bloated sense of self entitlement.
I have no idea how many seats they occupy.

I had donor seats in the Silver level last year, about the 15 yard line, upper section bleachers, about 10 rows up, south side of the field in the West stands. There were few true blue-hairs very nearby.

We upgraded to Gold level for this year.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post

My grandfather is a donor. His seats are pretty sweet. Right around 50 yard line, first row (or third row?) above the concourse....so basically halfway up. I love those seats.

My FIL is on the other side, right in the Y of the BYU seats. His seats are nice, too, but sometimes too sunny.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My grandfather is a donor. His seats are pretty sweet. Right around 50 yard line, first row (or third row?) above the concourse....so basically halfway up. I love those seats.

My FIL is on the other side, right in the Y of the BYU seats. His seats are nice, too, but sometimes too sunny.
Are those chairs very comfortable? The benches hurt my ass like nothing else, so I always try to procure a stadium seat, to the dismay of the people sitting behind me.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #17
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
lol - yeah, $95 per game would be ridiculous. Per season, it's reasonable.

BTW - the ticket prices for end-zone seats LAST year were $85, and sideline were $180. Those prices went UP TO $95 EZ & $200 Sideline for the '08 season.

I've already purchased my tickets. Obviously I don't have the seats assigned yet, but I expect to be around the 20-yard line.
They actually changed it up a little more than that. Last year it was $85 anywhere in the endzone. This year, It's $96 for rows 11 and above of the upper section and $110 for row 10 and below. Mine are in the $110 section and thats fine with me, it's still a bargain.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #18
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default That's a 30% increase from last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
They actually changed it up a little more than that. Last year it was $85 anywhere in the endzone. This year, It's $96 for rows 11 and above of the upper section and $110 for row 10 and below. Mine are in the $110 section and thats fine with me, it's still a bargain.
Considering I purchase 19 tickets, it's a chunk of change increase. But hey....we get to watch No Iowa, SDSU, and other power houses of the MWC.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #19
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
You are still at under $20 a ticket and you are at a perfect height for watching the game. Seriously, you can't complain about BYU's ticket prices. Even the seats where the feed you grapes and wine (so that BYU sparkling fruit punch whatever it is called) and wipe your ass for you at halftime aren't that unreasonable.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Are those chairs very comfortable? The benches hurt my ass like nothing else, so I always try to procure a stadium seat, to the dismay of the people sitting behind me.
Not sure how you define comfort, but I am positive that under any definition, the chairs will be better than the benches.

Personally, I have never given a thought to the chairs if I am lucky enough to score one, so that probably means they are decent enough.

I think the benches hurt, too, especially after 2 hours. I cant bring myself to toting around seat pads and all that other junk, though. I am pretty happy to just be at the stadium and watch the game, so a bench will do just fine if it means I get into the game.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote