cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Are those chairs very comfortable? The benches hurt my ass like nothing else, so I always try to procure a stadium seat, to the dismay of the people sitting behind me.
What the heck are you doing sitting at a football game?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #22
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Big 12 has the most horrendous season ticket prices. Last year Sooner tickets were close to $450, not counting the donations required to make the waiting list. I have no idea what they'll try to charge this year.

Heck, Oklahoma STATE tickets are up to $400, and this year they've decided not to sell any singles to the OU-OSU game, in hopes of forcing Sooner fans to buy OSU season tix in order to attend. Nebraska's $415. Kansas is $300. Texas is a bargain at $350.

It's pretty sad because families can't afford to take the kids to the games anymore. It was great fun to see all the kids at the BYU game. You don't see that at OU games like you used to.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It's pretty sad because families can't afford to take the kids to the games anymore. It was great fun to see all the kids at the BYU game. You don't see that at OU games like you used to.
Perhaps the real reason you don't see kids at OU games is because they bawl too much:

It's just a game, for crying out loud.

Oh, was that last bit too much?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #24
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Not sure how you define comfort, but I am positive that under any definition, the chairs will be better than the benches.

Personally, I have never given a thought to the chairs if I am lucky enough to score one, so that probably means they are decent enough.

I think the benches hurt, too, especially after 2 hours. I cant bring myself to toting around seat pads and all that other junk, though. I am pretty happy to just be at the stadium and watch the game, so a bench will do just fine if it means I get into the game.
Yeah - I rent the stadium chairs. They're only $5, you don't end up with bruises in the shape of the 2" high ridges in the benches on your ass, and they guarantee you slightly more than your purchased seat.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #25
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
What the heck are you doing sitting at a football game?
I sit. I prefer sitting over standing in most cases (although I'm a phone-talking-pacer, so I like to pace while talking on the phone).

I stand at appropriate moments, and I'll cheer just as loudly as anyone who's standing. I don't think it's necessary to stand through an entire football game. Doing so doesn't prove one's fanaticism. It simply makes one look like an idiot for eschewing a perfectly good seat during a mundane play.

Neither do I begrudge someone who decides they want to stand, as long as they're conscientious of those around them, aren't standing so they can talk on their cell phone (hey - look at me, I have a cell phone. Yeah, so does 90% of the rest of us, you freaking asswipe, now sit the F down!) or so they can wave down their buddies during game play.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
Spaz

Quote:
Perhaps the real reason you don't see kids at OU games is because they bawl too much:

It's just a game, for crying out loud.

Oh, was that last bit too much?
Personally, I think the kids bawling because their team is getting destroyed is great entertainment.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Personally, I think the kids bawling because their team is getting destroyed is great entertainment.
It also tells me that the kids parents haven't quite taught them that football is just entertainment.

But it is funny.

As for the sitting during the game comment, I was just giving you a bit of a hard time. Just having some fun, ya know?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #28
Spaz

Quote:
It also tells me that the kids parents haven't quite taught them that football is just entertainment.

But it is funny.

As for the sitting during the game comment, I was just giving you a bit of a hard time. Just having some fun, ya know?
Yes, I knew exactly what you were doing...

Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think his point was to over-price the seats so those who have the stadium donor status decide not to renew, thus making those seats more available to the regularly-donating public.

Personally, if I were wealthy to the point I felt I had $5,000 expendable income, I would be happy spending $900 on 2nd-row, 50-yard-line tickets. And I'd stand at appropriate times during the game as well. Schedule would be less important to me than winning.
I will agree with you, winning is a priority. If we had a PAC10 schedule and lost every year, attendance would drop.

On the other hand I think the home schedule we have this year won't permit ticket price increases year after year even if we win the MWC and go to the Vegas bowl every year. At least that is what my friends are telling me.

We get together and bitch and still pay up. I may be the lone ranger, but last year I missed my first home game in 30 years. This year I will probably miss 1 or 2. Right now I figure I am paying $125 a ticket for the other 4 games and that is OK with me for now. I had to pony up another $1,700 for the right to buy those tickets and that still is OK with me.

At some point though as I find watching the games at home is OK, I might suspend forking out that money. The hope that we will move onto the big time is why I am. If I thought the status quo is what the future brings, I would suspend the money flow. My kids could probably use the money more.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote