cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is also what is so maddening about Armstrong. He was also a once-in-a-generation athlete. He was world champion when he was what, 22 or 23? PLus he was winning tour stages, etc. Without cancer adn the radical re-shaping of his body he would not have been able to dominate the Tour, but he was celarly an exceptional talent and demosntrated it at an early age conitnuing until he retired.

Even aso . . .
You know, 10 years ago I tended to believe most guys were clean. The reason being that I couldn't imagine a truly great athlete who could live with himself taking the top step on the podium while knowing he hadn't really been the best athlete out there. These guys are so type A, they really want to be the best. I couldn't imagine that they'd be satisfied knowing that without the drugs they may not have been. Well, history has proved that my line of reasoning was ridiculous. I still wonder how athletes like Bonds, McGwire, Marion Jones etc... could be happy as they garnered all their fame knowing it was crap. It's something I guess I'll never understand.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
You know, 10 years ago I tended to believe most guys were clean. The reason being that I couldn't imagine a truly great athlete who could live with himself taking the top step on the podium while knowing he hadn't really been the best athlete out there. These guys are so type A, they really want to be the best. I couldn't imagine that they'd be satisfied knowing that without the drugs they may not have been. Well, history has proved that my line of reasoning was ridiculous. I still wonder how athletes like Bonds, McGwire, Marion Jones etc... could be happy as they garnered all their fame knowing it was crap. It's something I guess I'll never understand.

Several million dollars assuages a fair amount of guilt, I guess.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That drive to be the best is what leads them to using. If you had spent your whole life trying to be number #1 and the best you could do was somewhere in the top #25 you don't think you would be tempted? I would. I think you need to be pretty single minded to get there and willing to do whatever it took.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Several million dollars assuages a fair amount of guilt, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
That drive to be the best is what leads them to using. If you had spent your whole life trying to be number #1 and the best you could do was somewhere in the top #25 you don't think you would be tempted? I would. I think you need to be pretty single minded to get there and willing to do whatever it took.
Like I said, my line of reasoning turned out to be ridiculous.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote