cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #21
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Funny I was the same way. When Okur blew that FT I jumped off the couch.

I commented about Sloan awhile back when someone made the thread about him as COY I think. I mentioned that his substitution patterns and unwillingness to make adjustments are why he's never won the big one. He's a great coach but there is something he lacks that keeps him from being up there with Popovich or Jackson.
Sloan is about consistency. I agree it is what has gotten the Jazz to where they are, and I'd almost say it is one thing that is holding them back. I honestly feel that the Jazz will be Championship contenders when Sloan leaves, but that it is a huge disservice to Sloan if they don't recognize the hand that he had in getting them to that point. It is frustrating, because you want to see Sloan win one for all he has done for the franchise, but at the same time, it is probably the one thing keeping them from getting over the top.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #22
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Sloan is about consistency. I agree it is what has gotten the Jazz to where they are, and I'd almost say it is one thing that is holding them back. I honestly feel that the Jazz will be Championship contenders when Sloan leaves, but that it is a huge disservice to Sloan if they don't recognize the hand that he had in getting them to that point. It is frustrating, because you want to see Sloan win one for all he has done for the franchise, but at the same time, it is probably the one thing keeping them from getting over the top.
I completely agree. I think that if you want someone to win you 50 games a year and get you to the playoffs and win one series maybe two but then bow out, he's your man.

I firmly believe that a better coach would have won a championship with some of the teams he has had.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

DWill should have shot a ton more free throws in this series than he has been.

He gets no respect from the officials. He doesn't do the Tony Parker drive and flop routine....he does a tough legit drive, gets contact, oft times getting hammered and rarely gets the call.

I also find it amazing that Fisher can bump and knock into DWill repeatedly and rarely get called for it, but on the other end a L.A. player gets within 10 feet of the paint and it's practically an automatic whistle.

It's ridiculous for being a Top 2 Point Guard that DWill isn't getting the respect from officials that he deserves.

Course in a 1 min span near the end of the 3rd Kobe gets 7 FT attempts without so much as breaking a sweat.

Course.....having said how shitty the reffing was last night.......this game will go down in history as one of the all time blow playoff blunders by the Jazz. They had a ton of chances to win this game, and should, but didn't capitalize.

It's time for DWill to start being more selfish and shooting more down the stretch. As crappy as reffing was,,,it wasn't why the Jazz lost. Not at all.

Lamar Odom has been the biggest X factor, difference, whatever you wanna call it in this series. The Jazz simply have no answer for him.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=RockyBalboa;221419]

He gets no respect from the officials. He doesn't do the Tony Parker drive and flop routine....he does a tough legit drive, gets contact, oft times getting hammered and rarely gets the call.

[quote]

We must be watching different games, Deron goes to the basket and ends up on the floor time and time again. Very similar to Tony Parker, and every other little guy in the NBA. Chris Paul does it, Parker does it, Deron Williams does it.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

[QUOTE=cougjunkie;221463][quote=RockyBalboa;221419]

Quote:

We must be watching different games, Deron goes to the basket and ends up on the floor time and time again. Very similar to Tony Parker, and every other little guy in the NBA. Chris Paul does it, Parker does it, Deron Williams does it.
I said he goes to the basket often,,,I said he isn't getting to the line as much as he deserves to be. He isn't getting the respect.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #26
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The benefits of home were more apparent on the stat sheet: The Lakers enjoyed a 42-28 advantage in free-throw attempts (and that includes the four free throws Bryant shot in the final 10.7 seconds, when the Jazz fouled to stop the clock).

When the Jazz got close to the basket, there was more contact than in a rush-hour crowd shoving into the subway, but rarely a blown whistle. Meanwhile, at the other end, Lamar Odom breezed past Carlos Boozer for a layup and got a gift and-one. And Utah players and coaches are still wondering how Mehmet Okur could wind up sprawling toward the baseline, leaving Pau Gasol alone under the basket for an easy offensive rebound and dunk to put the Lakers ahead by five points with 20.5 seconds remaining.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ers-Gm5-080515

So far we have JA Adande and TJ Simers from the LA media questioning some of the officiating in the series. But Jazz fans are paranoid and whiny and have no reason to be.

I can't remember the last time I saw two articles after different games where the media from the opposing teams city questioned the calls.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

So guys, just to get it out on the table now, what is going to be the excuse all summer? It seems like we are all leaning towards the refs being at fault in this series. But I dont want to prematurely rule out other lame excuses until everyone has weighed in.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
So guys, just to get it out on the table now, what is going to be the excuse all summer? It seems like we are all leaning towards the refs being at fault in this series. But I dont want to prematurely rule out other lame excuses until everyone has weighed in.
Good one.

When you set your mind to be a dickhead about something, you are very, very good at it.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Good one.

When you set your mind to be a dickhead about something, you are very, very good at it.
I am like Sloan. Consistency.

For the record, I am not the one whining about things when the Lakers lost two in a row in Utah. Making excuses. Blaming refs, blaming the league. It is pretty ridiculous, actually.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am like Sloan. Consistency.

For the record, I am not the one whining about things when the Lakers lost two in a row in Utah. Making excuses. Blaming refs, blaming the league. It is pretty ridiculous, actually.
For the record: You don't think it's playing a significant factor?