cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
C'mon. Lyons is critical plenty of times.
serious?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've told this before, but I will again.

I met Wrubell almost 16 years ago. He and his wife were in the same birthing class as my wife and I. He was a nice guy.

I don't listen to him call games, as I am usually tuned in to Utah games when I'm not attending or can't get the game on tv.

I can't comment on Wrubell, but I do know that Lyons is a homer and a half. And a tool on top of that. Based on Indy's amazing stamina in his defense of Crowton, it doesn't surprise me that he thinks Lyons is critical at times.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've told this before, but I will again.

I met Wrubell almost 16 years ago. He and his wife were in the same birthing class as my wife and I. He was a nice guy.

I don't listen to him call games, as I am usually tuned in to Utah games when I'm not attending or can't get the game on tv.

I can't comment on Wrubell, but I do know that Lyons is a homer and a half. And a tool on top of that. Based on Indy's amazing stamina in his defense of Crowton, it doesn't surprise me that he thinks Lyons is critical at times.
Let's be clear: I like Mark Lyons. He does a good job.

I'm not sure how Crowton has any bearing on Lyons here, but you'll consistently hear him question BYU coaching strategy. Maybe he doesn't go off on angry rants about strategy, but he offers his opinion when he thinks BYU should have done something differently.

Besides, if I was really this caricature that you paint me and Lyons was critical of Crowton, wouldn't the caricature then also dislike Lyons because he was critical of Crowton?

You guys honestly must never listen to other college sports radio broadcasts. Lyons is above average.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I like Wrubell. Partly because he is such a vast improvement over Paul James (blasphemy, I know) that I was thrilled when he took over. I have met him in person a time or two.

On the other hand, I can't stand Mark Lyons. The guy is an idiot and a goofball.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Wrubell is about the only guy that can have a productive interview with Bronco. He gets fewer patented Bronco canned responses than anyone else.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Let's be clear: I like Mark Lyons. He does a good job.

I'm not sure how Crowton has any bearing on Lyons here, but you'll consistently hear him question BYU coaching strategy. Maybe he doesn't go off on angry rants about strategy, but he offers his opinion when he thinks BYU should have done something differently.

Besides, if I was really this caricature that you paint me and Lyons was critical of Crowton, wouldn't the caricature then also dislike Lyons because he was critical of Crowton?

You guys honestly must never listen to other college sports radio broadcasts. Lyons is above average.
The connection between Lyons and Crowton is that you seem to ignore what idiots both are. You defended Crowton long past when he became indefensible and you're defending Lyons now.

I'll admit that I don't listen to a lot of college radio guys, as on a Saturday, I'm following the Utes. And the Ute radio team is right up there with Lyons, especially Dolce.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The connection between Lyons and Crowton is that you seem to ignore what idiots both are. You defended Crowton long past when he became indefensible and you're defending Lyons now.

I'll admit that I don't listen to a lot of college radio guys, as on a Saturday, I'm following the Utes. And the Ute radio team is right up there with Lyons, especially Dolce.
If I defend idiots, then why is it I don't defend you?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
If I defend idiots, then why is it I don't defend you?
Dunno. Perhaps I'm not big enough of an idiot to be defended.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Lyons was my math teacher in high school and i believe he still teaches there.. we always talk a little BYU football when we see eachother. he's a good guy.. he's a bit goofy, but a good person nonetheless. he's definitely a BYU fan, but can be critical of the cougs at times. I will say, i enjoy hearing his BYU football analysis one on one vs hearing him on KSL... he played QB from 67-69 and from what i gather he was a tremendous athlete until he blew out his knee, and never played at 100% during his time at the Y.

Oh and I think Wrubell is awesome.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Lyons was my math teacher in high school and i believe he still teaches there.. we always talk a little BYU football when we see eachother. he's a good guy.. he's a bit goofy, but a good person nonetheless. he's definitely a BYU fan, but can be critical of the cougs at times. I will say, i enjoy hearing his BYU football analysis one on one vs hearing him on KSL... he played QB from 67-69 and from what i gather he was a tremendous athlete until he blew out his knee, and never played at 100% during his time at the Y.

Oh and I think Wrubell is awesome.
I don't think Lyons is dumb. But I think he's ridiculously homer. I've never heard him say anything critical. In the end, all his analysis is useless because he's not willing to say anything that could possibly be construed to mean that BYU's players, coaches, or admin are anything but perfect.

Wrubell seems very frustrated with him on a regular basis when Wrubell says something marginally critical and Lyons jumps to defend.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote