cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Leadville 100

http://www.velonews.com/article/8152...adville-record

Lance rides very well this weekend, but Wiens is still the man. I wonder if Lance really cracked with 10 to go like he says he did.

Here is the brief emailed ride report from my cousin, who finished well within the top 50:

Quote:
The temp on the race was just about perfect. One of the biggest problems was that I got there and the couldn't get any closer than about 500th place at the start. This meant that I was fighting to pass people for about the first 10 miles. I wasted a lot of energy there. Everything else went really according to plan until about mile 75. My right calf started to really hurt as well as my knee. From mile 75-85 there was this amazing climb that just kept going and I just blew mentally. I lost a lot of time just trying to survive. Once I started to descend it just let loose with rain, which felt great. The last big climb was 5 miles on pavement so I was able to find a rhythm and get to the top. From mile 100-103 I wasn't too happy with the race organizers. Why can't they every end these things on the right mileage. All in all it was a good race and all that is still sore is my lower back. If you want to ride a cool race without too much technical aspects it is a good race. At mile 50 I was only 15 min behind Wiens and Armstrong if that is any indication of how slow my rough patch was.

The guy who got 12th I ride with. He has done about 4 100 mile races this year and I was hoping to be closer to him. He started in 40th place, and rode strong. Amy and I were thinking that I might do it again next year and make it an anniversary activity. Leave the kids and stay in a hotel instead of a tent 25 miles outside of town. If you ever want in let me know and you can send your registration in with mine and some utah guys who have done this race for years. It is a lottery to get in but if you have raced it before you are more likely to get in.

By the way Lance is still fast on a bike and can descend better than I thought.
BTW, he is clearly delusional if he seriously thinks that I would even consider doing this thing next year. I'm sure it was the hypoxia that is affecting his thinking.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Small world. The guy that took 12th, Chuck Gibson, is a good friend of mine. His report to me this morninghis office is about 30 feet from mine, was that the group of riders that finished 5-13th made a big mistake after the second climb and drilled it to catch the group of 4 and ride through the feed zone with lance and Wiens. Of course they all were ditched on the next climb. Chucky said because of that effort he was continually fighting blowing up and he was stupid for joining the guys that were drilling.
He has finished as high as fourth and about 10 minutes faster than this time. He said I should sign up for next year. I just laughed and walked away.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested in how many miles LA had in him this year before he did this.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I am seriously considering abandoning the idea of ever joining Mike, Viking and the immortal Creekster of going sub five hours. Training here has been brutal.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I have a hard time believing him when he says that he hasn't been on a ride more than 6 hours in 4 1/2 years. That would really surprise me.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote