cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Desperado Dual

I thought I would report on the century ride out in Panguitch. I didn't see you there arch, figured you might have started with the dualers.
First let me say that I would do this century again, it is a somewhat scenic ride and it is very well run. So everything seemed to be going well for me, I made it to the 26 mile refuel at 1:36. this is the prettiest part of the whole ride, going through red canyon and leading you up by bryce canyon (you turn the opposite way though).

I made it to the next check point at mile 65 in 3;30 and I seemed to be fueling well and felt strong. This runs through black canyon and through a small town of Antimony.

From there I made it to the 3rd check point at mile 80 in 4:50. I slowed down a little here well for one it started to climb and 2 I got hung out by my self. Nothing of note to mention here.

Well this is where the trouble starts. I sweat like no other, in fact my intake of fluid when I did a simple weight before ride and weight after ride suggests I should be taking in over 100 oz of water per hour. From mile 80 to the finish is a drag uphill back to panguitch. I started out doing okay averaging 13 mph but about 2 miles out of the check point there was a huge headwind that put me at about 9 mph. I did this for about 11-12 miles and I was struggling. I had gone through both water bottles that I had picked up at mile 80 and still had 15 miles to go when I started to get cold chills. I thought that was weird but I pushed on for another 2 miles but I still had them and they were constant.

I decided I should stop and rest to see if they would go away. I had stopped for a minute or so when a fellow rider asked if I was okay. I told him I wasn't sure and told him I had cold chills. He said, "you have heat stroke dude, you need to get in the shade right away." I don't know if this was true or not but i wasn't feeling well and I would rather be safe than dead. He and his riding buddies hooked me up with water and I sat in the shade under the instruction that I should not ride for at least an hour. I didnt want to sit under that small juniper tree for an hour with 90 degree heat, so I asked them to send pickup when they reached the finish.

I got help and a ride to the finish. I am shamed but alive. I assume he was correct with his diagnosis, but maybe one of you doctors can let me know. Overall I finished 94 miles of a planned 106 in a time of around 6:25.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I thought I would report on the century ride out in Panguitch. I didn't see you there arch, figured you might have started with the dualers.
First let me say that I would do this century again, it is a somewhat scenic ride and it is very well run. So everything seemed to be going well for me, I made it to the 26 mile refuel at 1:36. this is the prettiest part of the whole ride, going through red canyon and leading you up by bryce canyon (you turn the opposite way though).

I made it to the next check point at mile 65 in 3;30 and I seemed to be fueling well and felt strong. This runs through black canyon and through a small town of Antimony.

From there I made it to the 3rd check point at mile 80 in 4:50. I slowed down a little here well for one it started to climb and 2 I got hung out by my self. Nothing of note to mention here.

Well this is where the trouble starts. I sweat like no other, in fact my intake of fluid when I did a simple weight before ride and weight after ride suggests I should be taking in over 100 oz of water per hour. From mile 80 to the finish is a drag uphill back to panguitch. I started out doing okay averaging 13 mph but about 2 miles out of the check point there was a huge headwind that put me at about 9 mph. I did this for about 11-12 miles and I was struggling. I had gone through both water bottles that I had picked up at mile 80 and still had 15 miles to go when I started to get cold chills. I thought that was weird but I pushed on for another 2 miles but I still had them and they were constant.

I decided I should stop and rest to see if they would go away. I had stopped for a minute or so when a fellow rider asked if I was okay. I told him I wasn't sure and told him I had cold chills. He said, "you have heat stroke dude, you need to get in the shade right away." I don't know if this was true or not but i wasn't feeling well and I would rather be safe than dead. He and his riding buddies hooked me up with water and I sat in the shade under the instruction that I should not ride for at least an hour. I didnt want to sit under that small juniper tree for an hour with 90 degree heat, so I asked them to send pickup when they reached the finish.

I got help and a ride to the finish. I am shamed but alive. I assume he was correct with his diagnosis, but maybe one of you doctors can let me know. Overall I finished 94 miles of a planned 106 in a time of around 6:25.
Stupid pet peeve of mine is people overusing the term "heatstroke". Heatstroke is a medical emergency requiring admission to the ICU. The key to the definition is the term "stroke". It looks a little like a stroke, in that you have confusion and/or neurologic deficits. Your brain is frying, so to speak. It's not the kind of thing you wait out under a tree.

What he probably meant was "heat exhaustion". Still probably not the kind of thing you should just sit out under a tree, although that's much better than finishing your century. And yeah, you probably had it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Coach, I had my ticket bought and everything when she who must be obeyed informed me that the plans of mice and men were not approved. She highttailed it out here and I did my ride today in the heat. Great report guy.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Nice report Coach. Sounds like it was a wise decision to forgo the last bit of the ride.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Nice report Coach. Sounds like it was a wise decision to forgo the last bit of the ride.
Probably was, I have had a huge headache since this happened. Might go to the doctor if it continues. Very hard to stop at the time, being so close to the finish and being competitive.

Arch, too bad you missed it. I think my ride was definitely easier than the torture you described. Still thinking of doing the Moab 100 on the 19th, anyone doing that one?

http://skinnytireevents.com/content/section/12/30/
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote