cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker310 View Post
Was the wheel really going in and out of true? Was a spoke thread stripped, or a spoke nipple stripped or broken? How about the rim? Was it getting thin from long-term brake rub?

I number of years ago a friend started down a jeep road when all of a sudden, POW, his front rim blew apart and wrapped one of the rim sidewalls into his fork. Stopped him immediately.

We're probably not even close, are we? Time for you to clue us in.
Alright, maybe the symptoms were a little too vague, but its all we had to go by from a quick roadside assessment. One of you more experienced guys may have been able to figure it out a bit easier than we were.

He had recently (2 months) installed a new set of ceramic bearings in the rear wheel.

When the wrench at the LBS took it apart he found that instead of being evenly spaced the ceramic bearings were all bunched up together in the casing. Occasionally they must have worked their way back into normal position, explaining why it was only intermittently out of true.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Does this make sense to someone who has taken apart some ball bearings?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I know thi sis old, but I was thinking abotu it today. This doesn't seem right to me. The bearings shouldn't float around like that, shoudl they? Doesn't this mean the races wern't properl;y seateed or were otherwise defective? Back iun the day when I used to repack my own bearings (I know, I know) the bearings were held in position by the race, as I recall. Was this a bad install by the shop or the wheel manufacturer?

RCViking, didn't you used to re-pack your own wheels? Bearings arn't supposed to float like that are they?

Last edited by creekster; 08-27-2008 at 11:23 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I know thi sis old, but I was thinking abotu it today. This doesn't seem right to me. The bearings shouldn't float around like that, shoudl they? Doesn't this mean the races wern't properl;y seateed or were otherwise defective? Back iun the day when I used to repack my own bearings (I know, I know) the bearings were held in position by the race, as I recall. Was this a bad install by the shop or the wheel manufacturer?

RCViking, didn't you used to re-pack your own wheels? Bearings arn't supposed to float like that are they?
Boy, you've got me. I've never taken them apart with the intention of fixing them or replacing them. The only time I've ever used ball bearings was as ammunition for my sling shot.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote