cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don't turn around, becasue Basso's back

Ivan Basso’s suspension is finished in October. He will ride for Liquigas and his first race will be the tour of Japan (or some such race). It will be interesting to see how he does without the EPO. Given his style I always thought that if he was using EPO he would be very bothered by its absence. I hope I am wrong here, because he always seemed like a good guy (cheating with Spanish doctors notwithstanding).

I guess I should add that he has denied cheating, but the credibility of the denial took a dive with the discovery of bags of his blood in a fridge in Spain, IMO.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I always liked Basso and I hope he is done cheating.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I suspect he will be competitive, but only a shadow of what he was a couple of years ago. I still remember an acceleration of his 2 years ago on the final mountain stage of the Giro that he won. He made the field look like a junior varsity team.

That was when I actually had the first thought that he might be dirty, just to make it look that easy. Of course, from now on, anybody who dominates like that will automatically be suspect.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote