cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next Vuelta Stage

http://velonews.com/article/83082/

Quote:
“I went to see in early August and it’s very, very hard. It’s one thing to say but it’s something else to climb it. It’s a brutal climb,” said Mosquera. “Like I’ve always said, it’s where you win or lose everything. If you have a half bad day on the Angliru, the minutes can fall off in chunks.”
The climb is so steep that most will ride with 34x28, with critics calling it more of a gimmick than a true road climb.
“It’s a mountain bike climb with road bikes,” said Olympic champion Samuel Sánchez, who’s not racing in the Vuelta but lives near the climb. “I can see the Angliru from my house, but I’ve only climbed it once. It was on a bet when I was 16 and I made it up without touching the ground and I won 50 euros. I haven’t been up it since.”
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Brutal

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Holy crap. that last 4 miles does over 2800 feet of climbing. That is serious grade.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

So Contador takes that stage and the overall lead. I can't see how this guy welcomes back LA and takes a back seat.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote