cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More Road Rage

So today I hoped to ride a peaceful 130 miler, but it started out inauspiciously, with my riding partner flatting early and me following suit soon thereafter.

We stopped at a convenience and noticed a couple, one guy without a shirt but not making a big deal of it.

So we climbed Sunrise pass into Lake Mead, a modes little hill into the Lake Mead area. I started gaining a bit of ground, when I heard a thud, and then the sound of what seemed to be a car tire flatting. Suddenly I see a car speed around me slow down, notice me and fly like a bat out of hell up and over the hill.

In the next moment, a driver in a black car scream ahead of me and then slam on his brakes. The driver jumped out of his car screaming at me, telling he would slam his foot upside my head. So I grabbed my phone to call police, no service.

For some reason the idiot drove off.

Next a motorcyclist comes up to me and asks me if I was riding with the two riders who were just hit by the maroon Grand Marquis. I asked the rider if he could chase down the car with the flat tire, so he peeled after the car.

I ride down the hill to my unconscious friend, whose wife was there with him, calling the ambulance.

The motorcyclist returns having spotted the car hightailing it several miles into the desert, abandoning the car, taking contraband or something from the trunk, and splitting.

Later the supposed "driver" a Latin female, obviously intoxicated stumbles over the investigating police, stating a bunch of incoherent nonsense. She's arrested on the spot, handcuffed, first denying other passengers and then explaining he's gone. So the police take the dogs looking for a fugitive with possible drug connections.

My buddy's bike is totaled, ride ruined, wife in shock, and some idiot is trying to kill me as well. What did we stumble into, a Columbian drug cartel?

After that, we went to the convenience store to obtain photos to pursue the male companion. The rest of the day was spent in investigations and at the hospital.

Ride shortened significantly and day ruined.

Other than that, nothing special. How was your day?

Monday, I'm applying for a CWP. I've changed my mind.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you're okay. Hope your friend has a quick recovery.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad you're ok, Arch and I hope your friend will be ok.

Is there a connection between the two cars? I don't understand why the driver of the 2nd car would threaten you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

WIld. Glad you're OK and best to your friend. THat is just a crazy turn of events.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The driver jumped out of his car screaming at me, telling he would slam his foot upside my head. So I grabbed my phone to call police, no service.
Pistol > cell phone
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

That is crazy. Is your friend going to fully recover?

I'm sure it's crossed your mind, but that could have been you knocked unconcious this morning. Take extra care out there.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
That is crazy. Is your friend going to fully recover?

I'm sure it's crossed your mind, but that could have been you knocked unconcious this morning. Take extra care out there.
I've been knocked out before, it doesn't feel great.

Perhaps we need more cycling awareness in our valley. Something's gotta change. Thank you everybody for the well wishes. Brings new meaning to the term, weekend warrior.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Arch have you figured out why the guy was mad at you? Did that guy have anything to do with hitting your buddy? Is it possible that they saw it as maroon and you saw it as black?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:50 AM   #9
Archaea

Two different cars as the maroon car preceded the black car.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #10
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Take care of yourself Arch. I hope your buddy is doing okay and makes a fast and speedy recovery.

You need to come train here in peaceful Idaho for these last three weeks before Lotoja. Just for a little contrast here is the highlights of my day. During one of my water stops an older woman on a bike came over to me and said she was lost and asked if I could help her. She was part of a ride called "Ride Idaho" where they tour different parts of the state each year. She had gotten lost so I had her follow me from one side of Idaho Falls to the other side. It gave me a little rest.

On my second water stop the floor of the Mavrick store was wet and my cleats slipped on it and I went down. It was a little embarrassing.

The third highlight was when a little dog came after me. The lawn had a little slope and his front legs went out from under him. He keeps running with his front legs dragging and his nose on the ground. It was pretty funny. I had to give him a A+ for effort.

118 miles, not one car honked at me, many friendly waves, limited traffic and the weather was perfect.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote