cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Lotoja

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=6700671

Since Arch is on his way back to Vegas I get to tell my lies first. Friday night we meet and have dinner with our support crews. Arch has his daughter and her boyfriend and I dragged my golfing buddy down to help out. Saturday morning arrives and it's a crisp beautiful morning. No 110 degree heat for Arch and no 30 miles per hour winds for me. We get in the front of the line for the start of the cat 4's. We start out and do a real easy 20 to 22 mph into Preston (35 miles). Arch was out with the front guys and I was just content to stay in the middle and enjoy the ride. At Preston I made a tactical error. We had sent our support crews up the 80 mile mark and with only one neutral site in between I wanted to make sure I had two full water bottles. Thinking that most everyone would fill up I thought we would be okay. We weren't and the big group was down the road by the time I got my bottle back. We chased but couldn't catch up.

Just outside of Preston is a steep decent into the valley. Two guys came screaming by and I took off after them. Being a bigger guy going downhill fast is never a problem. I get into the valley just getting ready to start the first climb and I notice Arch isn't with me any more. I hook up with about six guys and we start working at the base of the climb. We did okay until it started getting a little steeper and our group broke up. At this point I've got about 15 miles of climbing alone ahead of me. During this climb Arch caught me. It was obvious he was climbing much better so he went on and I figured I wouldn't see him again the rest of the day. At the top of the climb I took a p break and loaded up at the neutral support.

After a long fast decent I got back on with roughly eight guys. We were working pretty good and then a pack of about twenty came by. We rode this train into Montpelier (75 miles) where I was able to load up with my stuff from my support crew. After Montpelier came a 3 or 4 mile roll up to a climb about six or seven miles in length. I was surprised how steep it was so I just gutted this out of my own. At the top a cute girl was looking for a ride down the hill to get back on with her group so I told her to jump on we were going for a ride. We cruised down that mountain and across the foothills and caught some people. Nothing provides motivation like trying to help a cute girl.

Finally we were at the base of the last climb of the day. The bottom wasn't very steep and I was in a good group so we were able to catch up to Arch. Ahead of us was another six or seven miles of climbing with the top three or four fairly steep (105 miles). Arch gaped me up the climb but once again I pulled out my best Figon impression and flew down that hill.

We got into the valley and hooked up with a very good group. The next twenty were very fast (high 20's) and I was feeling good. We stopped for fuel in Afton (125 miles) and got back on the road again. We started fast again and Arch was having problems. He said he couldn't hold that pace (bike problems) and feeling like a climber on Everest leaving a fellow climber to die I took off. I felt bad but I didn't want to lose this group. We continued into Alpine (159 miles) doing this mid to high twenty's.

At Alpine the group broke up into a smaller group of about ten people. We did alright but I could tell everybody was getting tired because I would take my pull and look around for the next guy to come through and get a look like "dude I've got nothing left". This group broke up and five of us took it the last thirty together. We were doing high teens/ low twenty's to finish up. My goal was to break eleven hours and I was worried that I was going to miss it by about three minutes but the race was about mile or two shorter then planned and I was able to do it. I felt bad Arch had bike problems but hopefully he will try it again.

It's time to start thinking about a CG team for next year.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
It's time to start thinking about a CG team for next year.
Man Viking, that is a smoking average. I could never keep up with the climbing involved. Is there a B or C team that I can join?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
...feeling like a climber on Everest leaving a fellow climber to die I took off.
This part totally cracked me up.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Man Viking, that is a smoking average. I could never keep up with the climbing involved. Is there a B or C team that I can join?
Or perhaps a moped team? Then I'd be in.

Btw Coach, I like your avatar.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Got home, took skewers off wheels, and noticed my rear hub had completed disintegrated during last thirty six when I was suffering. Glad I have a lifetime warranty.

I lost my chain, flatted and broke my rear hub but some how hobbled in. After a while the wheels came off. have you ever put on tubulars after 170 miles? It isn't pretty.

Viking left me as my rear hub was falling apart and chain fell off. I wondered why I couldn't push down the descents as those are my specialty. Dang.

Next year no stopping dude when the peloton doesn't stop.

Race report later of tomorrow.

I won't report my sucky time as the last thirty six with lost chain, flat and broken hub took three hours. And it was the easiest thirty six of the day.

IT is a beautiful ride though.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

19.3 average? Very impressive. Thanks for the report. I am excited for you and am now more convinced than ever that I iwill never ride a bike with you unless your leg is broken.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:04 AM   #7
jxncoog

jxncoog is on a distinguished road

Sent you the boardmail before I saw your post RC, great work, Congrats!
check the stats at miliseconds.com, amazing how many couldn't finish.

Also, I meant Montpellier, not Montecello.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
19.3 average? Very impressive. Thanks for the report. I am excited for you and am now more convinced than ever that I iwill never ride a bike with you unless your leg is broken.
Here's the report on the Locomotive.

He is very big and powerful on the flats and descents, but it sure is nice to ride his wheel.

He doesn't wait for you, and make stops at inopportune times. Plus his snacks are potatoes.

He mashes those gears but spins up the hill. We had fun until my chain and bike started coming apart. I wondered why I couldn't mash my big gears when chain started skipping. It appears my hub was coming undone as well as the chain being strung out.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Only weenies count rolling averages. It's overall average that matters.

Still an impressive effort.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We were already counting on you for next year.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote