cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Luck with Rims

Last time we were out on our triple we hit a pothole very hard on a fast (very fast) downhill run and put a big dent in the rim. These are Mavic T217 48 hole rims. Very sturdy and durable, but even they can be bent with a Clydesdale and his family all on top of it.

ANyhoo, I go to my local wheel builder (this guy, who owns a shop, is a bit odd, but he builds a great wheel). He tells me Mavic doesn't make this rim anymore and that my options in 48 spoke rims are few. So I am trying to decide if I want to buy two rims so they match or if I will go with the fuggly mis-matched rims. I then ask if he can fix the damaged one and he looks at me like I am a big loser. So I tell him I have a couple of other errands and will think about it and come back afterward.

After thinking, I decide to get two new rims and have him build the wheels. I return to the shop and he tells me that while I was gone he recalled some guy that had come in with a tandem, and had wanted a new wheel set and this guy had built up his new wheels. The tandem owner was going to throw away his old rims and the shop owner grabbed them, as they were essentially new, and threw them in the back. While I was gone he had rummaged around and, guess what, they were incredibly a set of Mavic T217 48 hole rims! He said he would only charge me $45 to build the wheel and he would give me both rims for a 6 pack of beer.

So will it violate the word of wisdom to accept this deal?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Last time we were out on our triple we hit a pothole very hard on a fast (very fast) downhill run and put a big dent in the rim. These are Mavic T217 48 hole rims. Very sturdy and durable, but even they can be bent with a Clydesdale and his family all on top of it.

ANyhoo, I go to my local wheel builder (this guy, who owns a shop, is a bit odd, but he builds a great wheel). He tells me Mavic doesn't make this rim anymore and that my options in 48 spoke rims are few. So I am trying to decide if I want to buy two rims so they match or if I will go with the fuggly mis-matched rims. I then ask if he can fix the damaged one and he looks at me like I am a big loser. So I tell him I have a couple of other errands and will think about it and come back afterward.

After thinking, I decide to get two new rims and have him build the wheels. I return to the shop and he tells me that while I was gone he recalled some guy that had come in with a tandem, and had wanted a new wheel set and this guy had built up his new wheels. The tandem owner was going to throw away his old rims and the shop owner grabbed them, as they were essentially new, and threw them in the back. While I was gone he had rummaged around and, guess what, they were incredibly a set of Mavic T217 48 hole rims! He said he would only charge me $45 to build the wheel and he would give me both rims for a 6 pack of beer.

Using 48 hole rims?

I think it's like drinking a Coke. It's your call.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:

For that kind of deal you better buy him the good stuff. Landpoke may have some good ideas.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
For that kind of deal you better buy him the good stuff. Landpoke may have some good ideas.

Agreed. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agreed. Any suggestions are appreciated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Tire

This would seem to fit the occasion.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

YES! Finally something I know something about. I knew this day would come! There are a lot of variables here mostly tied to personal taste. Ale, lager, stout, porter, pils etc. Hoppy or malty. Light or dark. Foreign or domestic. Macro or micro. Fat Tire is ok but overrated in my opinion. Unless he stated a preference you probably want to stay away from anything too hoppy (this mainly encompasses your IPAs.) Red Hook is always a solid choice. Anchor Steam would be a good middle of the road (from a taste perspective) option, and it is from the Bay Area too. Either of those would be my choice.