cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default What were the prophesies of GBH?

I was just thinking about this but I'm terrible about remembering what gets said in conference or otherwise (yes, take a cheap shot if you have to).

I was hoping that someone could point me to some of the prophesies made by the prophet during the time he served.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I was just thinking about this but I'm terrible about remembering what gets said in conference or otherwise (yes, take a cheap shot if you have to).

I was hoping that someone could point me to some of the prophesies made by the prophet during the time he served.
the proclamation on the family (if that is a prophesy which can be debated)
Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

When was the last prophecy made by any prophet? Blacks and the priesthood was a revelation rather than a prophecy right?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
the proclamation on the family (if that is a prophesy which can be debated)
It was a proclamation, not a prophecy.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I don't have time to look it up right now, but it was in conference several years ago--maybe 1999 or 2000--where Hinckley warned of dark storm clouds on the horizon, and reminded us to be prepared.

Sage advice, if not a prophecy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
When was the last prophecy made by any prophet? Blacks and the priesthood was a revelation rather than a prophecy right?
Good question. I don't really think GBH was a prophet because I never remember hearing him prophesy. That doesn't mean he wasn't a good man, even a man of God, maybe even someone chosen by God to lead the LDS church, but by definition a prophet prophesies.

I think Scottie makes a good point - LDS prophets don't seem to prophesy, so much as lead and counsel. Good things, sure, but not prophetic per se. I think Hinckley was a fine president of the LDS church but I'm not sure I can consider him a prophet (or a seer or a revelator).

I'll gladly revise my opinions if someone can point me towards some prophecies, seeings(?), or revelations.

PS - This is not apostate trolling, but something I've been thinking about for awhile, but didn't have the moxie to ask about. [Thanks, UtahDan.] A substantial contributor to the withering of my faith stems from the cognitive dissonance of recognizing a prophet that doesn't seem to ever prophesy.

Last edited by Solon; 02-08-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: addendum
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://latterdaycommentary.blogspot....fulfilled.html
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Prophet is an office. He is called as a prophet, seer and revelator. Prophecies come in different ways at different times. How many prophecies are in the NT? How continuous is the record of prophecies in the OT? Even if the prophet, meaning the one in the office at the time, doesn't issue Nostradamus like prophecies, he is still the prophet, but for whatever reason his job is to keep his hand on the till for a while, as opposed to unleash a torrent of prophecies.

With all respect, Solon, and I mean this very sincerely, if your faith is dwindling you should do the things the Prophets tell us to do to strengthen it, and you know what they are. Evaluating the rate of prophecies should never be the basis for faith or disbelief, per se.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't have time to look it up right now, but it was in conference several years ago--maybe 1999 or 2000--where Hinckley warned of dark storm clouds on the horizon, and reminded us to be prepared.

Sage advice, if not a prophecy.
That's the first one that comes to mind for me as well. He did go out of his way to say he was not prophesying anything so I don't know if it qualifies. But reading it now, it's some of the best and most practical advice we've been given in my lifetime. No matter how simple.

BTW, it was 1998 and we were still enjoying the tech bubble.
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...____&hideNav=1

Quote:
Now, brethren, I want to make it very clear that I am not prophesying, that I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order.
So many of our people are living on the very edge of their incomes. In fact, some are living on borrowings. ...There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed.
I hope with all my heart that we shall never slip into a depression. I am a child of the Great Depression of the thirties. ...I repeat, I hope we will never again see such a depression. But I am troubled by the huge consumer installment debt which hangs over the people of the nation, including our own people.

Everyone knows that every dollar borrowed carries with it the penalty of paying interest. When money cannot be repaid, then bankruptcy follows. .

I recognize that it may be necessary to borrow to get a home, of course. But let us buy a home that we can afford and thus ease the payments which will constantly hang over our heads without mercy or respite for as long as 30 years.
Since the beginnings of the Church, the Lord has spoken on this matter of debt. To Martin Harris through revelation He said: “Pay the debt thou hast contracted with the printer. Release thyself from bondage” (D&C 19:35).
President Heber J. Grant spoke repeatedly on this matter from this pulpit. He said: “If there is any one thing that will bring peace and contentment into the human heart, and into the family, it is to live within our means. And if there is any one thing that is grinding and discouraging and disheartening, it is to have debts and obligations that one cannot meet” (Gospel Standards, comp. G. Homer Durham [1941], 111).
I urge you, brethren, to look to the condition of your finances. I urge you to be modest in your expenditures; discipline yourselves in your purchases to avoid debt to the extent possible. Pay off debt as quickly as you can, and free yourselves from bondage.
This is a part of the temporal gospel in which we believe. May the Lord bless you, my beloved brethren, to set your houses in order. If you have paid your debts, if you have a reserve, even though it be small, then should storms howl about your head, you will have shelter for your wives and children and peace in your hearts. That’s all I have to say about it, but I wish to say it with all the emphasis of which I am capable.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 02-08-2008 at 08:37 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Prophet is an office. He is called as a prophet, seer and revelator. Prophecies come in different ways at different times. How many prophecies are in the NT? How continuous is the record of prophecies in the OT? Even if the prophet, meaning the one in the office at the time, doesn't issue Nostradamus like prophecies, he is still the prophet, but for whatever reason his job is to keep his hand on the till for a while, as opposed to unleash a torrent of prophecies.

With all respect, Solon, and I mean this very sincerely, if your faith is dwindling you should do the things the Prophets tell us to do to strengthen it, and you know what they are. Evaluating the rate of prophecies should never be the basis for faith or disbelief, per se.
I guess we have different definitions of prophet. To me, prophets prophesy, and it can technically be anyone. President is the office. I'll sustain whomever as President of the church, as the guy in charge who makes the executive decisions, maybe even under the direction of god.

But I need prophecy before I'll consider that person a prophet. I just don't see why "prophet" has to be bundled in with "leader."