cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I went to President Hinckley's viewing....

and I was genuinely touched.

I was in Salt Lake for business, and still trapped in Eagle Mountain due to a blizzard blocking roads home, and I got some time to swing by the Conference Center. Normally, I don't get into the whole the prophet dying emotional event. I find it to be a bit of spiritual peacock dancing and being the first step to protesting Gold's Gym. I really liked President Hinckley, but while cynical I really like the Church so I figure I can find a way to like any Prophet.

So I went. The wait wasn't long and when I got to see him. It was an uplifting experience. He looked so content and they even put his glasses on his body. He had that smirky smile of his. He looked very peaceful. Then when I was exiting on the 3rd floor of the Conference Center they had some of the flowers prominently displayed from his family members. His great-grandkids promised to follow the 7 B's that he talked to the young children about. It really hit me then how much I appreciated his humanity. In so many ways I believe he captured so much about what I love about the LDS Church. His optimism and hope for a better world through faith and love. Optimistic leaders can inspire so much good in others. His focus on such common sense teachings like the 7 Bs or staying out of debt. It is the simple teachings and capacity to inspire that refocus my attention to the Prophetic calling of being watchmen on the watchtower.

I love the man Gordon B. Hinckley but I really love the religious calling of a Prophet. It was reiterated to me today that no matter how much of an asshole SeattleUte is, God still loves him and some day he will, like many of us, thank God we have a Prophet.

It was a good day.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me ask, so IPU doesn't have to, what kind of casket was it?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Was he wearing his temple attire? I'm guessing he was in a white suit?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Was he wearing his temple attire? I'm guessing he was in a white suit?
Temple attire. He was covered by the casket, which type I cannot recall my apologies to IPU but he is close enough to go himself, and his robes were visible. For those interested it was of the pleated variety, which I personally don't like because I am incapable of properly folding them and they beging to look like ass after time.

What caught my eye was that they put his glasses back on him. The other cool part was the army of old ladies and men acting as ushers with those Secret Service earpieces. God bless you Sister Larsen, but it just isn't your look!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're thinking of SU at President Hinckley's viewing, then SU has won.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Nice post, GN.

My wife and a couple of the kids went today and had a similar experience. I was telling them that they would likely have a long wait (Des News estimated 60,000 people per day) but got right in. They went around 12:30 - 1:00 pm.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:19 AM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
If you're thinking of SU at President Hinckley's viewing, then SU has won.
Dammit, I am an authentic redneck from cattle country! Who doesn't think of the one that is lost!