cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question: Spirituality

What is it? This is more for FM.

When you're asking for spirituality, what are you looking for?

I'm not certain what you mean by spiritual experiences, unless you simply mean religious, emotional experience with a religious overtone.

Discussion by its very nature tends to be analytical, and emotion, of which spiritual experiences play a part, the soul's manner of expressing its internal assimilation of external stimuli. Actually, I suppose discussion in the form of relationships can tend to be one of sharing and making one feel accepted, but on a guy dominated board, that characteristic is not likely to be prevalent.

Perhaps what you're stating is that manner in which we make heads or tails out of a relating of a spiritual experience is to dissect it to a point where you don't recognize it from the beginning. That may be true from time to time.

The reason I ask is, I have deeply moving experiences at unusual times in unusual places. My last visit to the USS Arizona, was both haunting and moving, to a point of tears. Is that what you want, or do you only want religious based emotion?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
When you're asking for spirituality, what are you looking for?
Situations in which you felt the Spirit. And in my experience, this has nothing to do with whether you were at church or not. In fact, your experience at the Arizona may very well qualify ... I don't know if it was spiritual or just emotional because I'm not you.

Some of the most powerful spiritual experiences I have had in my life have been to do things that are completely illogical, making no sense whatsoever to my puny mind. But by exercising faith and doing it anyway, I have been blessed for it.

My point is this. I believer there are spiritual things that CANNOT be explained intellectually, no matter how hard you try. That belief is not shared by all here and it seems to be a "vocal minority".
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Situations in which you felt the Spirit. And in my experience, this has nothing to do with whether you were at church or not. In fact, your experience at the Arizona may very well qualify ... I don't know if it was spiritual or just emotional because I'm not you.

Some of the most powerful spiritual experiences I have had in my life have been to do things that are completely illogical, making no sense whatsoever to my puny mind. But by exercising faith and doing it anyway, I have been blessed for it.

My point is this. I believer there are spiritual things that CANNOT be explained intellectually, no matter how hard you try. That belief is not shared by all here and it seems to be a "vocal minority".
When I flew to Russia on my mission, there was a 50 y.o. Russian lady on the plane who was very interested in Mormonism. A prominent German Mormon was on the plane with me, and he spoke Russian well, so he told her all about the Book of Mormon. Then he told me to be sure that I got her phone number to set up discussions. She got off the plane so quickly that I didn't catch her. I was really upset that I failed to do my duty as a missionary.

A few months later, I was at the hospital with a companion who was having an ingrown toenail removed. On the way out of the hospital, who should walk into the hospital but that very same woman. In a city of 1.5 million people, God had given me a second chance. But I didn't get her phone number that time either.

A few months after that, I bumped into the same lady at the ballet. This time I got her phone number, and the discussions were set up. I was convinced that the repeated opportunities to contact this woman in a city of 1.5 million were God's will in action.

Then I came home from my mission. I went on a trip to Houston (pop. 2 million), and I went to the mall with my parents. Low and behold, who should I bump into but one of my best childhood friends who was living in Houston. What are the chances of that? I don't know what the chances are. But since I have returned from my mission, I have noticed that I sometimes bump into familiar people even in very large cities, so the chances obviously aren't as slim as I thought. At that point, I no longer believed that God helped me to bump into people.

Then I thought back on my mission, and I remembered a goofy Russian guy with a weird hat who I street-contacted once. He started yelling at me because I was American and my country was "killing his brothers in Serbia." In retrospect, it occurred to me that I had seen that dude all over town--like 10 times--in completely different parts of this giant city. There is no freaking way God was involved with that one. The dude almost decked me when he found out I was an American.

Thus, I no longer believe that God makes chance meetings possible.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 06-05-2008 at 10:11 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
When I flew to Russia on my mission, there was a 50 y.o. Russian lady on the plane who was very interested in Mormonism. A prominent German Mormon was on the plane with me, and he spoke Russian well, so he told her all about the Book of Mormon. Then he told me to be sure that I got her phone number to set up discussions. She got off the plane so quickly that I didn't catch her. I was really upset that I failed to do my duty as a missionary.

A few months later, I was at the hospital with a companion who was having an ingrown toenail removed. On the way out of the hospital, who should walk into the hospital but that very same woman. In a city of 1.5 million people, God had given me a second chance. But I didn't get her phone number that time either.

A few months after that, I bumped into the same lady at the ballet. This time I got her phone number, and the discussions were set up. I was convinced that the repeated opportunities to contact this woman in a city of 1.5 million were God's will in action.

Then I came home from my mission. I went on a trip to Houston (pop. 2 million), and I went to the mall with my parents. Low and behold, who should I bump into but one of my best childhood friends who was living in Houston. What are the chances of that? I don't know what the chances are. But since I have returned from my mission, I have noticed that I sometimes bump into familiar people even in very large cities, so the chances obviously aren't as slim as I thought. At that point, I no longer believed that God helped me to bump into people.

Then I thought back on my mission, and I remembered a goofy Russian guy with a weird hat who I street-contacted once. He started yelling at me because I was American and my country was "killing his brothers in Serbia." In retrospect, it occurred to me that I had seen that dude all over town--like 10 times--in completely different parts of the this giant city. There is no freaking way God was involved with that one. The dude almost decked me when he found out I was an American.

Maybe, maybe not. But your two situations are not analogous. In the first instance, you saw the SAME person again, and she was someone you wanted to see again. IN the second instance, it was someone you knew, but not someone you were seeing again or who you wanted to see, necessarily. I don't see how either proves or disproves the other, to be quite frank. OTOH, I would put some store in your own personal interpretation of the events.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are all spiritual things inexplicable?

If the answer to that question is "no", then attempts to explain things intellectually are in order.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Are all spiritual things inexplicable?

If the answer to that question is "no", then attempts to explain things intellectually are in order.

I'm not saying there should not be any intellectual discussion. I might answer your post thus:

Are all spiritual things explicable?

If the answer to that quest is "no", then there is room for faith and not feeling like all spiritual things are up for intellectual discussion.

All I'm looking for here is an open-mindedness on the board where dumb neaderthals like me and Rocky can talk about spirituality without being mocked.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
And I would say that you believe that as you have gotten more "smart" or "learned" you are leaning more to your own understanding.

I do not believe God makes all chance meetings possible. But I do believe he makes some of them happen.

And I don't mean to offend, but saying that you know what God can and can't do seems to me to be the height of arrogance.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not saying there should not be any intellectual discussion. I might answer your post thus:

Are all spiritual things explicable?

If the answer to that quest is "no", then there is room for faith and not feeling like all spiritual things are up for intellectual discussion.

All I'm looking for here is an open-mindedness on the board where dumb neaderthals like me and Rocky can talk about spirituality without being mocked.
Link?

Sorry to be obnoxious, but I just don't see many examples of spiritual experiences or thoughts being mocked. Discussed? Sure. Mocked? No. But feel free to provide me a link if I'm wrong.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Link?

Sorry to be obnoxious, but I just don't see many examples of spiritual experiences or thoughts being mocked. Discussed? Sure. Mocked? No. But feel free to provide me a link if I'm wrong.
THe most vicious attack I have ever experienced on a message board was precipitated here on Cougarguard by me posting that I was saddened that everyone doesn't believe they can have a personal relationship with God.

I was mocked, shouted down, and slandered because of that thread.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 AM   #10
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THe most vicious attack I have ever experienced on a message board was precipitated here on Cougarguard by me posting that I was saddened that everyone doesn't believe they can have a personal relationship with God.

I was mocked, shouted down, and slandered because of that thread.
So...you post that your saddened by others' unbelief and then are surprised that people react negatively? Hmm....

Again, I'm curious to see the link to the mocking, shouting, and slander, although a negative reaction certainly doesn't seem surprising.

By the way, if we ran a count of mocking, shouting, and slander between say...SeattleUte (whom I'm assuming may be one of your primary offenders) and oh...exUte or Rocky, any guess as to who the clear winner would be?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote