cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #61
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Just read this from Card. Makes a lot of sense to me. You can find it here:

http://mormontimes.com/ME_blogs.php?id=1486

Quote:
Here is the remarkable thing: Within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, among believers, there are many genuine skeptics who question everything, who test everything.

We are not afraid to look at any evidence, and when we are convinced, we change our frame-of-view to accommodate the new information. At the same time, we recognize that none of our knowledge is final and might be revised -- by new evidence, by new revelation.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #62
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Nibley was every bit the prophet ETB was. I can be a prophet, and have been on occasion. You can be a prophet too. Anyone who speaks by the Spirit is a prophet. Samuel the Lamanite was a prophet--so poorly thought of by the church in his day that they didn't even include his sayings in the records and had to be told to do so by Christ. A prophet has no requirement of position in the church.
At Mike's request, I did a search of Adam's posts and caught this little whopper.

Samuel was very highly regarded by the Nephites, so much so that his writings were the catalyst to problems between the believers and unbelievers around the birth of Christ.

Quote:
5 But there were some who began to say that the time was past for the words to be fulfilled, which were spoken by Samuel, the Lamanite.
6 And they began to arejoice over their brethren, saying: Behold the time is past, and the words of Samuel are not fulfilled; therefore, your joy and your faith concerning this thing hath been vain.
7 And it came to pass that they did make a great uproar throughout the land; and the people who believed began to be very sorrowful, lest by any means those things which had been spoken might not come to pass.
8 But behold, they did watch steadfastly for that day and that night and that day which should be as one day as if there were no night, that they might know that their faith had not been vain.
9 Now it came to pass that there was a day set apart by the unbelievers, that all those who believed in those traditions should be put to death except the sign should come to pass, which had been given by Samuel the prophet.
What the Nephites were chastised by Jesus for, was not recording the fulfillment of those prophecies. In fact, the way Jesus and Nephi converse, it appears that Samuel's prophecies were common knowledge among the Nephites.

Quote:
9 Verily I say unto you, I commanded my servant Samuel, the Lamanite, that he should testify unto this people, that at the day that the Father should glorify his name in me that there were many saints who should arise from the dead, and should appear unto many, and should minister unto them. And he said unto them: Was it not so?
10 And his disciples answered him and said: Yea, Lord, Samuel did prophesy according to thy words, and they were all fulfilled.
11 And Jesus said unto them: How be it that ye have not written this thing, that many saints did arise and appear unto many and did minister unto them?
12 And it came to pass that Nephi remembered that this thing had not been written.
13 And it came to pass that Jesus commanded that it should be written; therefore it was written according as he commanded.
It's a nice thought though, Adam.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #63
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
At Mike's request, I did a search of Adam's posts and caught this little whopper.

Samuel was very highly regarded by the Nephites, so much so that his writings were the catalyst to problems between the believers and unbelievers around the birth of Christ.

What the Nephites were chastised by Jesus for, was not recording the fulfillment of those prophecies. In fact, the way Jesus and Nephi converse, it appears that Samuel's prophecies were common knowledge among the Nephites.

It's a nice thought though, Adam.
That's what happened when the Nephites failed to renew their Ensign subscriptions.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote