cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #21
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've never eaten sushi. If I have, I'm not aware of having done so.

What would you sushi eaters recommend for someone like me who believes that raw fish is to be used only for bait?
I actually think the California roll is a good one for a beginner, especially if you can get it with real crab. It's got crunch, a creamy/buttery component, and the crab. Actually, some people have bigger problems getting past the nori wrapping than they do eating the fish.

Mike came close to traumatizing our 3-year old the other day. Our son was showing some interest in the salmon roe sushi that was on the plate. Thinking he might actually try eating it, I picked up on of the fish eggs and gave it to him to exam. He got very exciting, jabbering away, and making the sign for fish. When Mike picked up the sushi and popped it in his mouth, our son let out a bloody scream of horror. I realized too late that he thought Daddy had eaten Nemo, the character from his favorite movie.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
Sushi Express is excellent. It's a total dive looking place in a strip mall by a gas station. The fish is fresh and the prices are reasonable (no all-you-can-eat, though). I enjoyed the staff, too, which was mostly Japanese as far as I can tell. The original sushi chef is classically trained.
The wife and I drove to Sandy last Saturday and tried this place out. We weren't overly impressed. The salad was straight out of a bag and soggy. And my soda came in a 12-oz. can. Nevertheless, we looked forward to the sushi. It was OK. We have had worse, but we have had better also. In the end, the tab came to $44 plus tip. If I lived in the neighborhood I would go there, but I don't know if it is worth the drive.

BTW, we tried a new place in the Apline/Lehi/AF area that you should check out. It is called Yapono (Yapona?) and it is accross the street to the south of Costco. Pricey, but excellent quality.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The wife and I drove to Sandy last Saturday and tried this place out. We weren't overly impressed. The salad was straight out of a bag and soggy. And my soda came in a 12-oz. can. Nevertheless, we looked forward to the sushi. It was OK. We have had worse, but we have had better also. In the end, the tab came to $44 plus tip. If I lived in the neighborhood I would go there, but I don't know if it is worth the drive.

BTW, we tried a new place in the Apline/Lehi/AF area that you should check out. It is called Yapono (Yapona?) and it is accross the street to the south of Costco. Pricey, but excellent quality.
You need to try Won Won Wok in Saratoga Springs/Lehi, out on lehi main street next to Smiths. I dont like Sushi but everyone in my neighborhood raves about it.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I hate you all. Sushi sounds so good right now and it will be another 6 1/2 months before I can eat it.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I hate you all. Sushi sounds so good right now and it will be another 6 1/2 months before I can eat it.
Cheer up. You can always get a $5.99 t-bone at the Waffle House. Bwahahahahaha.....
Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone been to Kyoto?

Apparently there are two different ones with the same name.

I'm talking about this one:

http://wcities.com/en/record/24,40448/67/record.html

"top 10 restaurant in Utah"

I haven't been there in many years, so it may just be nostalgia. For example, when I was at BYU, I liked Demae. Then after living in Houston for a bit, I went back to Demae and almost threw up.

Kyoto specializes in more of your traditional Japanese dishes, has sushi bar. Great tempura, good memories of sukiyaki.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #27
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Has anyone been to Kyoto?

Apparently there are two different ones with the same name.

I'm talking about this one:

http://wcities.com/en/record/24,40448/67/record.html

"top 10 restaurant in Utah"

I haven't been there in many years, so it may just be nostalgia. For example, when I was at BYU, I liked Demae. Then after living in Houston for a bit, I went back to Demae and almost threw up.

Kyoto specializes in more of your traditional Japanese dishes, has sushi bar. Great tempura, good memories of sukiyaki.
I've been to the city, but not the restaurant. Looks interesting. I will check it out.

Demae is Japanese comfort food (domburi, katsudon, curry rice, etc.). Cheap, authentic, home-style dishes, but not gourmet. And their sushi is not very good.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I've been to the city, but not the restaurant. Looks interesting. I will check it out.

Demae is Japanese comfort food (domburi, katsudon, curry rice, etc.). Cheap, authentic, home-style dishes, but not gourmet. And their sushi is not very good.
Demae's food didn't change from when they were in a snowcone stand to when they opened as a sit-down restaurant. At the very least, they could cook the rice properly.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Also, about Kyoto, the waitresses are all Japanese and speak Japanese. And the chefs/cooks are all Japanese. That is usually an excellent sign when you are at a Japanese restaurant. Mexican cooks are usually a bad, bad sign. Koreans are a bad sign as well. Whities are bad, bad, bad.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Also, about Kyoto, the waitresses are all Japanese and speak Japanese. And the chefs/cooks are all Japanese. That is usually an excellent sign when you are at a Japanese restaurant. Mexican cooks are usually a bad, bad sign. Koreans are a bad sign as well. Whities are bad, bad, bad.
Amen, brother.