cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
You have peaked my interest, what is Divinity?
No matter how it looks, it is quite tasty.

http://intlxpatr.wordpress.com/2006/...ivinity-candy/

You'll note another humorous link on that page: "Christmas and Diabetes."
Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
These would be perfect. How would you say they compare to Disneyland churros. Those are kind of my benchmark on churros.
The mark up on those churros is amazing. They cost Disney about 11 cents a churro and sell them for like $3.50 each. Gotta love amusement park food.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You have peaked my interest, what is Divinity?
If you want to try divinity, find some rancid meat and squeeze all the liquid from it into a dish. Then add some sugar and a couple boxes of baking soda for texture and mix it all up.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

a couple pieces of divinity are always good.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
The mark up on those churros is amazing. They cost Disney about 11 cents a churro and sell them for like $3.50 each. Gotta love amusement park food.

But they are so delicious. There are a few foods that Disneyland is best for, churros, large pickles, the best corn dogs ever (east side end of main street), cherry sours and pineapple ice cream.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
But they are so delicious. There are a few foods that Disneyland is best for, churros, large pickles, the best corn dogs ever (east side end of main street), cherry sours and pineapple ice cream.
The turkey leg by the Columbia is surprisingly nice, too.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
.. the best corn dogs ever
You've apparently never had a corny dog at the Texas State Fair.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #18
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The cheesecake cupcakes one is from a fun little cooking blog called cookingforengineers.com. It has detailed instructions, pictures, and a little algorithm-like recipe card at the bottom.
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake-Cupcakes

Toffee
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-To...sy/Detail.aspx
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

OK, so I am posting our churro recipe, which isnt really our recipe. We combined it with a few recipes we found (one from watching Food Network) and experimented until we found something we liked.

One caveat: you need some sort of churro-formation device. We eventually bought an actual churro gun at Williams Sonoma, but I know you can get them through Pampered Chef or even some grocery stores (esp latino grocery stores, such as Los Albertsons). The key to the churro gun is the star-tipped edge. This star tipped edge is what gives churros their lovely iconic shape. If you dont have a star tip, you will end up with something akin to an Otter Pop made of dough. Note: if you try to use a normal cake decorator with a small star tip, you will get churros that are about 1/10 of an inch in diameter. This is not only offensive, but you should be ashamed for even attempting it. It angers the Aztec Churro gods.

Making churros is pretty easy once you get the knack for how long they should be in the oil. Oil speculation is the quickest way to ruin your churro. If the oil is not hot enough when you first put the churro in, the churro will be soggy and evil and an abomination to the Aztec gods. If the oil is too hot, it solidifies into petrified wood within about a minute. If this happens, remove wooden churro from oil, place around neck for bad luck, and enter surfing contest in Hawaii as the Bradys watch you wipe out from the beach.

Always plan on sacrificing one small churro to the gods when you are making your batch. It keeps the gods happy and they bless your kitchen for future churro-making activities. It also allows you to verify that the oil is hot enough.

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil (dont start pulling the health card and trying to put in canola oil or olive oil when nobody is looking. If you do, you and your healthy, tasteless churros can go to hell)
1 cup water (if you want to make authentic Mexican churros, use contaminated water; otherwise, tap will do)
2 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter
1 cup white flour
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. (I prefer lots of cinnamon. Adjust to your own taste)

This will make about 15 or so 4-5 inch churros.
Total time is about 25 mins.

1. Fill your frying pan with about an inch or two of oil and heat to about 370 degrees. Judging from the girth of many online Cbers and CGers, I have a feeling most of you will have plenty of oil and frying pans around the kitchen...

2. If you are useless in the kitchen but want to say that you helped, mix the white sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and put the bowl on the counter. You are all done! Your gourmet effort will be used to coat the fresh, nubile churros once they emerge from their hot oil treatment.

3. In a saucepan, mix the water, brown sugar, butter, and salt to a rolling boil. Once boiling, you can put heat all the way down to low and add the flour. You need to keep stirring at this point because the flour will obviously make it thick and hard....keep using that hand....harder....faster....*ahem* I digress.....keep stirring for about a minute or so until the mixture basically turns into a ball of goo. You can now remove entirely from heat.

4. In a different bowl, mix your eggs and vanilla extract. Once beaten, then mix that with the large ball of goo in the other bowl. Mix both well.

5. Now you are ready to place your goo into a gun for the process known as In-Vitro Churrolization.

6. Test a tiny bit of goo in the oil to make sure the oil is hot enough. It should sizzle and bubble, but not splash or explode. It also should not just sit there submerged. If that happens, the oil is not hot enough.

7. If you are down with the oil temp, proceed to lay out small strips of churro....maybe 4 or 5 inches at a time. Put a few in the pan. Cook for about 2 mins on each side. This is also done to taste. Some people like their churros crispy and more well-done. These people are generally called "fools" or "suckas." Others like their churros delightful, flaky, and golden. Watch them like you would anything else you were cooking.

8. Remove newborn churro from oil womb using some sort of slotted utensil. I made the mistake early on of using metal tongs. This pressure squeezes your churro and hurts its feelings. Place churro safely on paper towel to absorb some last second grease, thereby making yourself feel better about the impending saturated fat intake you are about to experience. While still warm, roll churro in the cinnamon sugar.

Let cool for a few minutes. Congratulations. You are now Mexican!

We always dip our churros in a nice chocolate sauce or caramel sauce. Abe Lincoln, while not Mexican, believed it to be altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

PS If you want to be hardcore about your churro intake, you partake of chocolate drink, as well (which can also served as a dipping receptacle). Most latino markets sell Ibarra chocolate, which is that spanish brand that comes in a yellow cardboard cylinder that contains discs of dark chocolate. Mix these with milk and you are good to go.

Ole!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Thanks DDD,
I believe the gods will have plenty to eat by the time I have any ready for human consumption. Any idea if it will be possible to make churro candy canes or am I asking for my destruction?
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote