cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salt Lake italian food (top 11)

Here is my list of ranking Salt Lake City italian restaurants (locally owned and chains):

1. Biaggis (Gateway): Large dining area, nice atmosphere. I really liked their spaghetti and I will say that I have more than enjoyed all of the other meals that I have eaten here. Yes, it is a chain and I am embarrassed to have it here, but I really like it.

2. Trio (Old Mill and down on 6th South and 9th east). Trendy restaurant with limited seating downtown, but a lot of room at the Old Mill.

3. Tuccis (Trolley Square). Nice atmosphere and good food. I really enjoyed their caesar salad but their calzones and their spaghettis are all very tasty as well. Service has always been very good here.

4. Cafe Molise (downtown). Fantastic setting with in and outdoor seating. One of just a couple of these restaurants that has bigger city feel to it. The gnocchi is very good.

5. Baci (downtown). Good food, good ambiance. I have liked the chicken dishes here.

6. Canellas (next door to the library): Nice atmosphere and pretty good food. The chicken alfredo is very nice.

7. Cinnegrill (downtown). This is kind of a celebrity hotspot that has been downtown for decades (at diff locations though). Cinnegrill is known for its italian salads and they are well worth it. The rest of the food is good, though not amazing but it makes up for it with a side salad or a bigger salad.

8. Al Fornos (downtown). I had heard people rave about it...I liked it, I just won't rave about it. Just about average spaghetti and overall, to me, slightly above average food.

9. Spaghetti Factory (Trolley Square): Decent prices (though pricing goes up, it seems every 6 months) and average food. It is a good place if you are bringing your kids...average or less if you are going out for the night with the wife.

10. Buca de Beppos (downtown). I had heard a lot about this place for a while and all I found was mediocre food, over the top decorations in the place, etc. I was not too impressed and the place was loud and a little obnoxious to me.

11. Marcaroni Grill (downtown). Average. I went once and probably won't go back again.

Other: Faustinas: (located near downtown). Not really an italian restaurant, but I will put it here because they had an absolutely terrific lasagna dinner that I would gladly go back and have more of. Trendy place.

The Pie (at the U). I love the Pie, but I didn't really list it with the others because though I do not always get the pizza, 95% of the time I do, so I consider it not so much as an italian place, but more as a terrific greasy pizza place.

Granatos (by Olympus High School). Not really a restaurant but absolutely terrific italian sandwiches.

I did not list Olive Garden for easily understood reasons.

Last edited by UteStar; 06-25-2007 at 04:51 PM.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite is Luke's. It's the only one that feels like a mafia restaurant.

http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/10376557/
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
5. Baci (downtown). Good food, good ambiance. I have liked the chicken dishes here.
Bacci closed. There's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in it's stead.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
9. Spaghetti Factory (Trolley Square): Decent prices (though pricing goes up, it seems every 6 months) and average food. It is a good place if you are bringing your kids...average or less if you are going out for the night with the wife.
The Spaghetti Factory is only good if you like food without taste.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Ah yes, out in Glendale, where you can feed a family for $10.

Years ago there was a place called Ciao in a strip mall in Sandy that my g/f and I loved. I don't know if it is still around though.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Here is my list of ranking Salt Lake City italian restaurants (locally owned and chains):

1. Biaggis (Gateway): Large dining area, nice atmosphere. I really liked their spaghetti and I will say that I have more than enjoyed all of the other meals that I have eaten here. Yes, it is a chain and I am embarrassed to have it here, but I really like it.

2. Trio (Old Mill and down on 6th South and 9th east). Trendy restaurant with limited seating downtown, but a lot of room at the Old Mill.

3. Tuccis (Trolley Square). Nice atmosphere and good food. I really enjoyed their caesar salad but their calzones and their spaghettis are all very tasty as well. Service has always been very good here.

4. Cafe Molise (downtown). Fantastic setting with in and outdoor seating. One of just a couple of these restaurants that has bigger city feel to it. The gnocchi is very good.

6. Canellas (next door to the library): Nice atmosphere and pretty good food. The chicken alfredo is very nice.

7. Cinnegrill (downtown). This is kind of a celebrity hotspot that has been downtown for decades (at diff locations though). Cinnegrill is known for its italian salads and they are well worth it. The rest of the food is good, though not amazing but it makes up for it with a side salad or a bigger salad.

8. Al Fornos (downtown). I had heard people rave about it...I liked it, I just won't rave about it. Just about average spaghetti and overall, to me, slightly above average food.

10. Buca de Beppos (downtown). I had heard a lot about this place for a while and all I found was mediocre food, over the top decorations in the place, etc. I was not too impressed and the place was loud and a little obnoxious to me.

11. Marcaroni Grill (downtown). Average. I went once and probably won't go back again.

Other: Faustinas: (located near downtown). Not really an italian restaurant, but I will put it here because they had an absolutely terrific lasagna dinner that I would gladly go back and have more of. Trendy place.

The Pie (at the U). I love the Pie, but I didn't really list it with the others because though I do not always get the pizza, 95% of the time I do, so I consider it not so much as an italian place, but more as a terrific greasy pizza place.

Granatos (by Olympus High School). Not really a restaurant but absolutely terrific italian sandwiches.

I did not list Olive Garden for easily understood reasons.
This list is a horrifying condemnation of SLC Italian food.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This list is a horrifying condemnation of SLC Italian food.
LOL.

I spent five days last week dining in the gaslight district of San Diego. It was heavenly.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Italian food, like that made in Italy sucks ass, seriously gross.

As far as Salt Lake, one mustn't leave off Caputo's. Extremely good salads, great sadwiches, and green olives galore.

Biaggi's is quality Italian, interestingly enough their best plate is Pork Chops Al Forno.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #9
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/10376557/
Ahh, good old Pukes. Pukes is a classic - every single dish looks and tastes the same no matter what you order. I think they really only make one dish there in back and just serve it up with a different name in order to make it look like they have a big menu.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Italian food, like that made in Italy sucks ass, seriously gross.

As far as Salt Lake, one mustn't leave off Caputo's. Extremely good salads, great sadwiches, and green olives galore.

Biaggi's is quality Italian, interestingly enough their best plate is Pork Chops Al Forno.
You are an Italian food ignoramus. There is no debating this.

As far as Italian restaurants in SLC, there is only one that is worth visiting and that would be Fresco. It's as close to authentic Italian as we have in Utah.

Again, fusniuk, do yourself a favor and don't ever talk about Italian food again. You have absolutely no credibility. (Kind of tic, but kind of not tic.)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote