cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #21
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

As was mentioned, 'Seven' was on disturbing flick. I saw 'the Hitcher' with Rutger Hauer when I was younger and that was one creepy flick.

'28 days later' was a great creepy flick but it did not have a great final 30 minutes.

Aliens was fantastic (and Alien was right behind it as well).

This sounds stupid, but when 'Scream' first came out, that was a pretty scary little show with a little humor.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar
As was mentioned, 'Seven' was on disturbing flick. I saw 'the Hitcher' with Rutger Hauer when I was younger and that was one creepy flick.

'28 days later' was a great creepy flick but it did not have a great final 30 minutes.

Aliens was fantastic (and Alien was right behind it as well).

This sounds stupid, but when 'Scream' first came out, that was a pretty scary little show with a little humor.
Agree on Seven. That ending with the box bugged me.

"I tried to play husband... tried to taste the life of a simple man, but it didn't work out. So, I took a souvenir."

Ugh.

The Talented Mr. Ripley disturbed me because I found myself anxious that the guy was going to get caught; this despite his being a murderer and the clear danger he posed to those that knew him.

Siding with a sociopathic gay murderer took its toll on me.

But alas, such are the vagaries of life.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #23
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

The entire movie wasn't creepy, but that scene in The Shining with those twin little girls absolutely creeps me out. I have no idea why those two girls are so freaky, but every time I see that scene I get chills.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Creepiest/Most Disturbing Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters
I usually stay away from horror movies, but one movie I watched with Mike that I truly wish I hadn't: Audition (Japanese film, "Odishon") I think I had my face hidden through the last half.
I can't imagine anything being creepier than the original, Dutch version of "The Vanishing," for various reasons. The American version completely lacked the creepy brilliance of the original. In fact, the ending was altered; the Dutch version has the most scary ending imaginable (no gore in the whole film, by the way).

American movies always cut down the creepy factor. The recent movie "In the Cut" is a pale rendition of the novel, written by a woman (Suzanna Moore), that is one of the creepiest novels I've ever read. The ending is unbelievable; you can't believe it really is what it is, at first. It's so awful you wonder if you're misreading it. But the author's style is very clear and precise. Of course the movie ends happily, completely different.
Is In The Cut the move where Meg Ryan bares all? If so i have seen it and it is actually a pretty good movie. Except i could have gone my whole life with out seeing Mark Ruffalos penis.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote="SeattleUte"The one I wrote about, "the Vanishing," is understated, and effortless, and completely horrifying.[/quote]

Is Keifer Sutherland in this movie? I saw the DVD of that title the other day at the local Super Target and thought it was Sutherland on the case.

For the record, I was at Super Target because I'm a cheapskate and love the prices there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:02 AM   #26
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

[quote=il Padrino Ute]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "SeattleUte"The one I wrote about, "the Vanishing," is understated, and effortless, and completely horrifying.[/quote

Is Keifer Sutherland in this movie? I saw the DVD of that title the other day at the local Super Target and thought it was Sutherland on the case.

For the record, I was at Super Target because I'm a cheapskate and love the prices there.
The Kiefer Sutherland one is the U.S. made one. Skip it. It's a pale imitation of the Dutch maserpiece by the same name.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:02 AM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
It's a pale imitation of the Dutch maserpiece by the same name.
The Dutch version was excellent. What a horrific ending. My only complaint about the Dutch version is that after about the first 5 minutes the dialogue switches completely to French. I rarely get the opportunity to hear the Dutch language and so my skills continue to deteriorate. :x
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote