cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Stumpy

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Default I don't believe you pay a full tithe.

If a church leader is interviewing someone for the big house, and he doesn't believe the person is paying an honest tithe, how much probing is appropriate. As a person whose lifestyle probably appears to outpace my income I have raised more than a few suspicious eyebrows when it comes to that question. Rather than taking the bait, and getting into my w2's I have always thanked the leader for his counsel and then repeated my answer, yes I pay a full tithe. No one has probed beyond that, but it makes me wonder, how far should a leader be able to investigate?
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
If a church leader is interviewing someone for the big house, and he doesn't believe the person is paying an honest tithe, how much probing is appropriate. As a person whose lifestyle probably appears to outpace my income I have raised more than a few suspicious eyebrows when it comes to that question. Rather than taking the bait, and getting into my w2's I have always thanked the leader for his counsel and then repeated my answer, yes I pay a full tithe. No one has probed beyond that, but it makes me wonder, how far should a leader be able to investigate?
The Bishop has every single right to want as much info as possible to determine whether the member is telling the truth.

So long as he only asks one question: "Are you a full tithe payer?"

Beyond that, it isnt his business, nor his job, to audit members.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

On the other side of the coin, when my uncle was a bishop, his stake president told him to honor the answers an interviewee gave during the recommend interview, even when he suspected it was not an honest answer.

I thought the whole point of interviewing with the bishop was so he would use his spirit of discernment to decide whether to give the recommend or not. But if that is not the case, why not lessen his load and have the beehives conduct the interviews?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Ugh... my last temple recommend interview, my bishop asked me if I was a full tithe payer. I said yes. He proceeded to ask me, "What to you consider a full-tithe to be?" I explained a full-tithe is payment 10% of all gross increase. He didn't seem satisfied with this, and asked how often I pay tithing! When I told him that I pay quarterly, he expressed concern that I wasn't being honest with the Lord. I should instead, he communicated, pay my tithing every time I received increase.

Under his reasoning, anybody who waits till the end of the year to pay tithing, even if it's a full tithe, isn't fulfilling his or her obligations as a full tithe payer.

He signed my recommend, but I don't think he was happy about it.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If he looks at your form at tithing settlement and sees $1.76 on it, I think he has a right to question you further.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If he looks at your form at tithing settlement and sees $1.76 on it, I think he has a right to question you further.
Stumpy could still explain the plasma big screen.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
Ugh... my last temple recommend interview, my bishop asked me if I was a full tithe payer. I said yes. He proceeded to ask me, "What to you consider a full-tithe to be?" I explained a full-tithe is payment 10% of all gross increase. He didn't seem satisfied with this, and asked how often I pay tithing! When I told him that I pay quarterly, he expressed concern that I wasn't being honest with the Lord. I should instead, he communicated, pay my tithing every time I received increase.

Under his reasoning, anybody who waits till the end of the year to pay tithing, even if it's a full tithe, isn't fulfilling his or her obligations as a full tithe payer.

He signed my recommend, but I don't think he was happy about it.
Your bishop doesn't know what he is talking about.

As far as what the definition of a full tithe is "10% of one's increase" is ALL that needs to be said. Any further detail than that is inappropriate.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask him what the handbook says.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
As a person whose lifestyle probably appears to outpace my income I have raised more than a few suspicious eyebrows
How exactly do you manage that? Are you a a greeter at WalMart, and live in a mansion, with an exotic car collection?

Last edited by NorCal Cat; 11-15-2007 at 08:55 PM.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Stumpy

Stumpy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
well this is really the nutmeat of my question. How what kind of additional probing is appropriate? My own situation is quite as extreme, but it is closer to your example than to anything else. Where is the line of appropriate incredulity, and what should a leader do when he honestly thinks someone has crossed that line? I guess it is up to the Spirit, but I would be pretty pissed if the "holy ghost" got it wrong.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote