cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Mrs. Meanie

Mrs. Meanie is on a distinguished road
Default Does it scare you to buy things, "Made in China?"

Because all the stuff in the news lately about toothpaste, pet food, and seafood tainted with harmfull chemicals that come from China, I have become more cautious about buying things that are made in China. But the question is how can you avoid buying Chinese made stuff. Any suggestions?

Daphne Du Maurier
Mrs. Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't really given it a lot of thought, but I probably should. It does seem that most of our foodstuffs are produced within the U.S. or it's surrounding countries.

BTW, I'm not surprised that this has happened. In my limited experience with Chinese manufacturers, QC is not a big priority. It was only a matter of time before their production standards came public in a big way.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Suggestion: Read the label. If it says "Made in China" or "product of China" then it's probably made in China. Just like there are certain things you don't want to buy at DI (underwear, razorblades, and cars in Grapevines case) there are certain things you don't want to buy from China. Underwear and razorblades are probably OK but I would steer clear from Chinese made cars.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not buying any food from China, maybe for the rest of my life.

I think it's pretty clear that the notion of ethics has bypassed a couple generations over there.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I just caught a news piece with an author pimping a new book. I can't remember the name, but the book is about her family going a full year without buying anything made in China and how difficult it was.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I have now crossed the Dollar Store off my toothpaste shopping locales.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

It's true China has a lot of business practices that would never cut it in America. But none of these on a very consistent basis affect the average end user like myself much. And since Chinese products apples to apples with American made products cost as low as ten cents on the dollars, I will continue to buy cheap crap made in China sold at Walmart as much as possible.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It's true China has a lot of business practices that would never cut it in America. But none of these on a very consistent basis affect the average end user like myself much. And since Chinese products apples to apples with American made products cost as low as ten cents on the dollars, I will continue to buy cheap crap made in China sold at Walmart as much as possible.
I believe in the global free market and will buy my products wherever produced. Some good happens in China throught their economic prosperity, lightening the load of peasants. We might have a looming threat, but the rich abhor war.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I believe in the global free market and will buy my products wherever produced. Some good happens in China throught their economic prosperity, lightening the load of peasants. We might have a looming threat, but the rich abhor war.
I don't buy cheap stuff at Walmart out of benevolence for Chinese peasants. That's what is usually good about the free market system. Making purely selfish decisions will generally drive to the best good for everyone.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't buy cheap stuff at Walmart out of benevolence for Chinese peasants. That's what is usually good about the free market system. Making purely selfish decisions will generally drive to the best good for everyone.
I agree. My only point was those who deride those of us making selfish decisions believing their high mindedness will help the oppressed are naive. The only event to help the poor is for a nation to become rich.