cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey Il Padrino can you

scour some articles in the Italian papers and give us a hint as to how the game was perceived by Italian writers? I'd be curious to hear what they thought of the US team's effort and the efforts of their own team.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You bet. I'll take a look at a few and post what I find out a bit later.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...371583&cc=5901
Old 06-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
SteelBlue

Interesting. The one paper called for De Rossi (elbow thrower) to ride the pine for the rest of the cup.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

In Italy's biggest newspaper (by biggest, I mean the one with the most circulation throughout the entire country - kind of like USA Today) Il Corriere della Sera, the writer called it a war. He was critical that the Italian team was unable to do anything despite a man advantage and said that the American team should be praised as "fighters who never give up".

The few other papers I looked at were of the opinion that the US is now to be considered a formidable foe.

All thought Di Rossi got exactly what he deserved and all were also of the consensus that the two US players shouldn't have gotten a red card - they thought the referee was too quick to card both US players like that.

All in all, they were impressed enough with the US team and one writer in a smaller paper in Palermo thinks that the US will only be happy until they dominate all sports worldwide - he even mentioned that the US is the only country capable of doing so, so why not want to dominate it all?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
In Italy's biggest newspaper (by biggest, I mean the one with the most circulation throughout the entire country - kind of like USA Today) Il Corriere della Sera, the writer called it a war. He was critical that the Italian team was unable to do anything despite a man advantage and said that the American team should be praised as "fighters who never give up".

The few other papers I looked at were of the opinion that the US is now to be considered a formidable foe.
Cool. That's what I was really wondering about. I wondered if they were giving the US its due or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
All in all, they were impressed enough with the US team and one writer in a smaller paper in Palermo thinks that the US will only be happy until they dominate all sports worldwide - he even mentioned that the US is the only country capable of doing so, so why not want to dominate it all?
Who knew that Archaea was writing for an Italian paper? Thanks for doing that IlPad. It's fun to know how things were interpreted by a more soccer savvy press.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
fuegote

fuegote

Read this from this guy:
Michael Davies is a British-born television producer whose forthcoming projects for ESPN include the World Series of Darts and the documentary film "Once In A Lifetime" about the New York Cosmos, which will air on ESPN in October after being released theatrically by Miramax in July.

It's really good as well.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...=davies/060617