cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
fuegote

fuegote
Default Soccer, the beautiful game...

I've come to a point where I am sick of the constant posting after soccer posts that read, "it's boring." "it sucks" "it's unwatchable"

I hate baseball. It's by far the only sport a really don't follow even though I picked a team. I can't watch it live, I can barely watch the "highlights" and I'm not alone in thinking so...

but...

I don't post "baseball is boring" after every freaking baseball post. It gets really old.

If there are so many people critisizing soccer, there must be something to it.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm no longer a fan of baseball.

I love the World Cup of Soccer, but the lower levels don't entertain as well. I've enjoyed watching the kids play but none demonstrated sufficient skill to play at the high school level.

I can watch a lot of football, too much track, cycling, skiing, swimming, hiking almost anything but baseball.

The problem I see with watching it, is most of us don't really understand the strategy of it. I get annoyed when the US can't finish or lacks the ball handling skills of Brazilians. We move the ball up the field and then, one defensive play takes us out of rhythm, whereas the Brazilians just deftly move the ball.

The Dutch are more powerful and methodical, but efficient. The Azzuri can be colorful as can Argentina.

Germany in its heyday was great as well. Franz Becknbauer was great.

Yet at the club level, I don't like it so much.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I agree with you Fuegote.

I love the game. My daughter is going to play in High School this year. (good chance at making varsity as a freshman)

It just boils down to lack of knowledge. If more folks understood the rules they would be okay with it.

I share your same passion but for hockey. If folks would watch it and quit bashing it they would get sucked in.

I have often said that hockey is soccer but on ice.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
I agree with you Fuegote.

I love the game. My daughter is going to play in High School this year. (good chance at making varsity as a freshman)

It just boils down to lack of knowledge. If more folks understood the rules they would be okay with it.

I share your same passion but for hockey. If folks would watch it and quit bashing it they would get sucked in.

I have often said that hockey is soccer but on ice.
I don't know if its so much not understanding the rules of the game, but moreso the strategy of the game that most do not understand. And you can put my name at the top of that list.

I understand the rules of soccer for the most part, but the flow of the game is where I get lost. The same can be said for hockey. Part of the problem for me is that I have only really seen high cometition levels for both the these sports on tv, and it can be very hard to get the big picture of the entire field when the image on the screen is of one guys with a couple of defenders closing in.

The same could be said of football purists. You can never truly appreciate the game unless you follow the OL and DL play, which really is next to impossible while watching a game on tv. you only get to see the skill players do their thing, while the hogs get lost in the shuffle.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Which is the great thing about sports in HD on television. I firmly believe that HD was made for sports.

You can see alot more of any given "field" and can see plays develop.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
fuegote

fuegote

awesome thoughts all. Soccer I can watch (and do) on all levels. the Euro clubs can be as fun as the World Cup because they're freaking all star teams. The Euro championship (both the league and uefa cup) were both amazing this year.

I love hocky, but don't tell my wife, she hates how many sports I watch. So i don't follow hocky out of love for my wife.

My favorite football highlights occer when you see the line. I love watching a screen pass and watching the linemen do 1 of 2 things.

1. lay out some stupid corner back
2. look for someone to hit while the play runs by and he keeps trying to do something until he falls over trying to do something and actually does nothing but fall on his belly. high comedy. Tivo was also invented for sports especially football.

again, I hate baseball, but I won't continually bash the HGH Steroid boys everytime Ill padrino wants to post about it.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
Which is the great thing about sports in HD on television. I firmly believe that HD was made for sports.

You can see alot more of any given "field" and can see plays develop.
I'm pretty excited to watch the world cup in HD. Hope my cousin doesn't mind me going to his house at 7 to do so.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
again, I hate baseball, but I won't continually bash the HGH Steroid boys everytime Ill padrino wants to post about it.
LOL, I appreciate that.

I understand completely. I decided that it's useless to respoind to all the baseball haters, as I won't be able to convince them otherwise.

As for soccer, I learned to appreciate it while in Italy and watch it when I get the chance. It's a great sport. Those who hate it, don't understand it.

I still need to get to a match with you guys. Last week ended up being a bad time for me to go - sorry 'bout that. When I finally am able to get to a mnatch, I'll look for your tailgate and see if I can squeeze into your section.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

It's boring.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
fuegote

fuegote

http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/60043

very original. I think i've never heard this on Rome about every time Rome talks about soccer. Glad he could think of his own stuff.

what a wanker.