cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nice win for Ghana....

I am sure they are partying in Accra right now.

Is anyone really surprised? The group wasn't as difficult as projected and the U.S. was far worse than expected. (How anyone thought the U.S. had a top 15 team let alone top 5 team is beyond reason)

The skill set of the U.S. squad was some of the worst in the tournament, no shots on goal, sloppy passing, bad spacing, no solid runs, just a bad performance from a bad team.

Oh well, there is always South Africa.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
I am sure they are partying in Accra right now.

Is anyone really surprised? The group wasn't as difficult as projected and the U.S. was far worse than expected. (How anyone thought the U.S. had a top 15 team let alone top 5 team is beyond reason)

The skill set of the U.S. squad was some of the worst in the tournament, no shots on goal, sloppy passing, bad spacing, no solid runs, just a bad performance from a bad team.

Oh well, there is always South Africa.

that was awful.. not surprised, but we were actually closer than I thought.. we coulda made it out.. boy did we not play inspired football
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Good team, poor management.

Hey I hear Larry Brown has nobody to coach at the moment...
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

And for 50 million for one year...he'll come coach you...
Old 06-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug
that was awful.. not surprised, but we were actually closer than I thought.. we coulda made it out.. boy did we not play inspired football
We sure didn't. It looked more like soccer to me.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
TyronneBiggums

TyronneBiggums is on a distinguished road

I think this game serves as a MAJOR setback for American soccer.

This was by far the most hyped USA team ever. Not just the fact that they lost twice, but the way they lost the games, with sloppy play, etc. I think there were a lot of casual USA fans who would have liked to have seen the USA advance and might have started to give a damn about USA soccer. Now I think itll take a big run in South Africa in 2012 to get there. Just too bad.
TyronneBiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

That penalty kick was absolute bull. Anyone else get the feeling that the US team was marked by the refs all along? There were some weird happenings.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
That penalty kick was absolute bull. Anyone else get the feeling that the US team was marked by the refs all along? There were some weird happenings.
Honestly, I think that is an easy excuse in any sport, for people to make. Was it a bad call? Yes. But when your team cannot muster a goal (or two to win) in the second half against a team picked last in your group with the motivation to move on to the second round...then you only have yourself to blame...

I understand that in an international setting, it would be reasonable to think that we would get screwed...I just don't think we're that good. When calls go against us, it just compounds it.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather
Honestly, I think that is an easy excuse in any sport, for people to make. Was it a bad call? Yes. But when your team cannot muster a goal (or two to win) in the second half against a team picked last in your group with the motivation to move on to the second round...then you only have yourself to blame...

I understand that in an international setting, it would be reasonable to think that we would get screwed...I just don't think we're that good. When calls go against us, it just compounds it.

I actually think the team was very good this year (though uninspired for some strange reason). The penalty kick was huge for Ghana. It changed the entire flow of the game. Rather than Ghana spreading out more for scoring opportunities as it would have in a tied game, they were able to drop more people back and play a tight defense, making it VERY difficult to score. That and the fact that Ghana players seemed to be writhing on the ground in tremendous pain for about half of the second half did the US in.

I am so sick of players flopping on the ground and being wheeled off on a stretcher, only to bounce right back up after wasting 3 minutes of everyone's time. Why is that not a yellow card?

The US also could have beaten Italy if it was 11 on 11 soccer. As is, playing with only 9 men and getting a tie against a solid Italy team was quite impressive (even though their goal was an own goal).

Overall, I thought the US did quite well with the cards it was dealt (difficult group, AWFUL officiating, ejections of key US players affecting both the Italy and Ghana matches).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I actually think the team was very good this year (though uninspired for some strange reason). The penalty kick was huge for Ghana. It changed the entire flow of the game. Rather than Ghana spreading out more for scoring opportunities as it would have in a tied game, they were able to drop more people back and play a tight defense, making it VERY difficult to score. That and the fact that Ghana players seemed to be writhing on the ground in tremendous pain for about half of the second half did the US in.

I am so sick of players flopping on the ground and being wheeled off on a stretcher, only to bounce right back up after wasting 3 minutes of everyone's time. Why is that not a yellow card?

The US also could have beaten Italy if it was 11 on 11 soccer. As is, playing with only 9 men and getting a tie against a solid Italy team was quite impressive (even though their goal was an own goal).

Overall, I thought the US did quite well with the cards it was dealt (difficult group, AWFUL officiating, ejections of key US players affecting both the Italy and Ghana matches).
Interesting how we view things so differently on so many different subjects. (not specifically soccer, on all things, and all posters here)

Before the game against Ghana the US had ONE shot on goal. You heard that right, one shot on goal. They played poorly against an overhyped Czech team, played tought against a decent Italian team and played ok against an underrated Ghana squad.

The yellow cards/red cards weren't that big of a deal, and as disappointing as the penalty in the box was, I don't think it was a European conspiracy, as it was one of the better judges.

It boils down to this, the US does not have a striker, Landon is highly overrated, their skills are marginal at best, (did you see the way they moved the ball?), and their coaching is subpar. This idea that US soccer has improved drastically over the past twelve years has been bunked.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote