cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University of Utah, again leading the way

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/ma...t.html?_r=1&hp

Quote:
To establish a secure foothold in academic medicine, abortion-rights supporters knew that along with residency programs they needed the kind of advanced training that attracts the best doctors and those who want to join medical-school faculties. A physician at the U.C.S.F. medical school set up the Family Planning Fellowship, a two-year stint following residency that pays doctors to sharpen their skills in abortion and contraception, to venture into research and to do international work. In recent years, the fellowship has expanded to 21 universities, including the usual liberal-turf suspects — Harvard, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, U.C.L.A. — but also schools in more conservative states, like the University of Utah, the University of Colorado and Emory University in Georgia.

When Salt Lake City and Atlanta are home to programs that train doctors to be expert in abortion and contraception, the profession sends a signal that family-planning practices are an accepted, not just tolerated, part of what doctors do. That helps draw young physicians. The first generation of providers after Roe took on abortion as a crusade, driven by the urgent memory of seeing women become sick or die because they tried to induce an abortion on their own, in the days before legalization. Out of necessity, the doctors pushed ahead with little training or support. “We did it by the seat of our pants,” says Philip Ferro, an 82-year-old OB-GYN at the S.U.N.Y Upstate Medical University in Syracuse. “There was no formal source of knowledge.”
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

strange field to be in, if you're a physician.

The abortion docs I know tend to be a strange lot.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

to follow up, the abortion docs I've come to know, with varying degrees of familiarity all seem to be very quirky, very weird.

Many of their patients visit them extremely secretively and pay cash. They of course often see themselves as knights in shining armor, preventing alley way abortions and deaths, but most of them seem very odd. I wonder if my sampling is non-representative.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Two years ago, a young professor at the University of Michigan named Lisa Harris wrote an academic article about performing an 18-week abortion while she was 18 weeks pregnant. Harris described grasping the fetus’s leg with her forceps, feeling a kick in her own uterus and starting to cry. “It was an overwhelming feeling — a brutally visceral response — heartfelt and unmediated by my training or my feminist pro-choice politics,” she wrote. “It was one of the more raw moments in my life.”
Push through and finish the procedure. Write article. Lionize self. Profit.

All the while demonstrating "I'm not like the other crass abortionists, it kills me just as much as it kills them."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote