cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Just spent the evening with family members who spent a month in Europe, with ten of those days in Italy. All said the same thing, Italian food sucks, and this has been the resounding opinion of those I talk with that have spent time in Italy. Initially I thought I was crazy, because Italian food to me has strong flavors, fused with great tasting oils and vinegars, but too many people say the same thing.

Now those I've talked to who served missions there seem to love and defend the food and always tell me I have eaten at the wrong places. I just can't seem to have found a solid meal that I would recommend to another.

For those here on the board who might end up in Italy, avoid restaurants, eat gelato, eat sandwiches in corner delis and save your money for food in France.
Ignore everything fusnik has said except the sentence about people who have served missions there and eating sandwiches from corner delis. The restaurants are great and Italian food is the best.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #22
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Ignore everything fusnik has said except the sentence about people who have served missions there and eating sandwiches from corner delis. The restaurants are great and Italian food is the best.
I'm going to try this little restaurant of yours.

What you think of the Cucina behind Caputos?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I'm going to try this little restaurant of yours.

What you think of the Cucina behind Caputos?
I haven't eaten there. I'll give it a try.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Bravo, fusnik.

One of your better trolling efforts.
No, he wasn't trolling that time. But thanks for playing.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 AM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Just spent the evening with family members who spent a month in Europe, with ten of those days in Italy. All said the same thing, Italian food sucks, and this has been the resounding opinion of those I talk with that have spent time in Italy. Initially I thought I was crazy, because Italian food to me has strong flavors, fused with great tasting oils and vinegars, but too many people say the same thing.

Now those I've talked to who served missions there seem to love and defend the food and always tell me I have eaten at the wrong places. I just can't seem to have found a solid meal that I would recommend to another.

For those here on the board who might end up in Italy, avoid restaurants, eat gelato, eat sandwiches in corner delis and save your money for food in France.
I went to Italy, I loved the food. In fact, I have thought about how good it was every single time I have eaten Italian food since then and wished I was eating that food instead of the Italian food here.

I really miss their mozarella. I could eat an entire ball of mozarella with nothing else.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I went to Italy, I loved the food. In fact, I have thought about how good it was every single time I have eaten Italian food since then and wished I was eating that food instead of the Italian food here.
You are a man with taste buds that work.

It makes you jealous that I got to be a missionary there, doesn't it? I may not have baptized many, but dangit, I ate well.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #27
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I really miss their mozarella. I could eat an entire ball of mozarella with nothing else.
The best food I ate in Italy was a Donar.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I love food in Italy. In fact, I would be hard pressed to find any dish that I had that was not above average and above. If I had to rank the cities, I found the best food to be in Florence and Venice, followed closely behind by Rome and Milan. The Cinque Terra had decent food but not as good as the other cities and the food that I had in Pisa was about the same...decent.

I loved the pastas, the cheeses and the breads. Little complaints all around. Overall, I have loved the food in Italy. With that said, I have only spent about a month living there but I ate out every breakfast, lunch and dinner.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
You can find decent fresh mozzarella at specialty stores. In SLC, I go to Granatos to get it.

If you want to try something simple and delicious, get a ball of fresh mozzarella, slice it, pour a bit of olive oil into a dish and sprinkle in a touch of oregano then dip the mozzarella into the oil.