cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Me as a basketball coach

I'm the coach for the YM this year (in addition to everything else).

I love basketball, and I've always liked the idea of being a basketball coach.

My coach in high school was from the Bobby Knight school. We played uptempo man-to-man denying defense. We were opportunistic on the break. And we played a motion offense. We did do full court press as well.

Point is, I like an aggressive style, esp. on defense.

Now to my main point--I can't believe how worked up I get during the games. I'm not mad or angry, I'm just intense, pace the sideline, yell out instructions on every play. "BLOCK OUT!!! GET BACK ON DEFENSE!!! BE PATIENT!! DON'T SETTLE FOR THE JUMPSHOT!!! DOUBLE HIM, NOW!!!!"

If I am getting this worked up over YM's basketball, I can't imagine what kind of stress I would feel if I was a Div I coach. I'd probably die of a heart attack. I don't know how Phil Jackson can just sit on the sideline in his chair. Of course, if his team was as bad as mine, he might be yelling on every play as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

My coach in high school was from the Bobby Knight school. We played uptempo man-to-man denying defense. We were opportunistic on the break. And we played a motion offense. We did do full court press as well.

Now to my main point--I can't believe how worked up I get during the games. I'm not mad or angry, I'm just intense, pace the sideline, yell out instructions on every play. "BLOCK OUT!!! GET BACK ON DEFENSE!!! BE PATIENT!! DON'T SETTLE FOR THE JUMPSHOT!!! DOUBLE HIM, NOW!!!!"

If I am getting this worked up over YM's basketball, I can't imagine what kind of stress I would feel if I was a Div I coach. I'd probably die of a heart attack. I don't know how Phil Jackson can just sit on the sideline in his chair. Of course, if his team was as bad as mine, he might be yelling on every play as well.
So you are from the Nolan Richardson school of coaching when they played D he called "40 minutes of hell" for the other team.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate zone defense. I love to create turnovers, get fast breaks, wear down the other team.

Of course you have to practice to actually accomplish this. And you have to have the right guys.

To some degree our league is dominated by the star players. In our first game last Sat. we were singlehandedly beaten by a ~17 year old baller who could dunk. Even though I started playing a triangle-and-two on him. It didn't help that our guys had zero shot selection, and one particular player would chunk the ball at the basket willy-nilly.

We don't have a go-to player who can dominate.

Another difficulty is that I am playing everyone. So I have to put in the 12 year old who wears jeans (even after I talked to him and told him to wear shorts), and the other 12 year old who stinks about as bad. It's hard to win when you your guys are midgets who can't dribble and they have a guy who will be starting varsity next year.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I love to coach basketball as well. For 2 seasons I was an assistant under Norm Parrish at Salt Lake Community College and after seeing what he had to go through and the sacrifices he had to make I decided I didn't want to pursue coaching any further after that.

It's a ton of fun doing game prep, scouting opponents and working with the players, but for me there were just too many negatives involved.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I love to coach basketball as well. For 2 seasons I was an assistant under Norm Parrish at Salt Lake Community College and after seeing what he had to go through and the sacrifices he had to make I decided I didn't want to pursue coaching any further after that.

It's a ton of fun doing game prep, scouting opponents and working with the players, but for me there were just too many negatives involved.
When were you at SLCC? The Scenic West is a fun league. I went to CEU my freshman year and for a semester after my mission and I loved going to those games. Harold Arceneaux was playing for CEU my freshman year and they had some good games with SLCC.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Coaching is a blast. I have always enjoyed it.

No doubt that D1 coaching is high stress. I mentioned before that Steve Cleveland is a good friend of mine. He would always tell me that the pressure was unbelievable. The poor guy rarely slept during the season.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
When were you at SLCC? The Scenic West is a fun league. I went to CEU my freshman year and for a semester after my mission and I loved going to those games. Harold Arceneaux was playing for CEU my freshman year and they had some good games with SLCC.
I was there in 1995 and helped out again in 98.

I only met Cleveland twice, once while helping out at a camp down in Provo and the other time when driving down to borrow some film and as coaches in the profession go he is one of the nicest and amiable you'll ever meet. He's very much liked and respected in the coaching fraternity.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Jackson's calm demeanor is the result of all those years of smoking the happy stuff looking for Zen

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 AM   #9
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Jackson's calm demeanor is the result of all those years of smoking the happy stuff looking for Zen
He probably is baked during the game.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote