cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whose kid goes to the worst school?

My son's elementary school is 0.8% white. That's right, less than 1%.

92% get free lunch. Because of poverty.

On a prominent rating website, it's ranking is below the 3rd percentile among all schools in Texas.

So I'm not feeling too guilty about moving. In fact, I should probably feel guilty for not moving sooner.

People say they are not racist. But you look at what happens when schools start taking an influx of poor hispanic students.

Think about SU's kids. Have they ever even met a poor black or hispanic kid? No way in hell SU would ever think of having his kids in a school with a lot of poor black and Mexican kids.

It's a sad, sad state of affairs in America. And it does not bode well for the future. Every year, we produce a larger underclass. We think that running away is going to save us. It is not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

On a prominent rating website, it's ranking is below the 3rd percentile among all schools in Texas.

So I'm not feeling too guilty about moving. In fact, I should probably feel guilty for not moving sooner.

People say they are not racist. But you look at what happens when schools start taking an influx of poor hispanic students.

Think about SU's kids. Have they ever even met a poor black or hispanic kid? No way in hell SU would ever think of having his kids in a school with a lot of poor black and Mexican kids.

It's a sad, sad state of affairs in America. And it does not bode well for the future. Every year, we produce a larger underclass. We think that running away is going to save us. It is not.
As for your own children, you can easily divine good justification in moving for the best interests of your children. I don't think it has anything to do with racism.

For example, when my father was growing up, his family moved into an area which had the best schooling public education could provide, but it just so happened a large percentage of the population was Jewish. He was a definite minority. And if such a situation existed where the best education for your children involved relocating to an Asian neighborhood, you would have no qualms about it.

However, for your children to succeed, you want to provide all the educational benefits which you can afford them. It will benefit or hold them back for the rest of their lives. You'd be crazy NOT to help them in this regard.

We do have an underclass, but how does our hegemony help the subordinate, Hispanic or AA cultures, which do not esteem the need for quality education? After helping my children with homework, ranging from Spanish, chemistry, economics, government and composition, I wondered how poorer families cope with such demands, especially if the mother doesn't have a command of the English language, and is unable to assist in those subjects.

The solution will require neighborhoodwide emphasis where quality teachers and parents intervene. As ONE individual family, you won't usually make a difference. And should your own suffer in the process?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I sent to a father's organization meeting at the school. I was the only non-black person there. I asked the organizer where the Hispanics dads were. He said, having set up these fathers organizations all around the city, that Hispanic dads tend to not get involved. Woman's job.

I think I mentioned this before, there was a guy there that was recently out of prison, sitting there at 7pm in the school library, there for his daughter (doesn't live w/ her). We talked about raising money, and he said he could cut his hair. Cut hair.

God, give me 100 of these men, and I will literally conquer the world. People with nothing, who are trying hard, and giving a damn.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Just out of curiosity, Mike, what political party represents your district, in both Congress and the state legislature?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just out of curiosity, Mike, what political party represents your district, in both Congress and the state legislature?
Take a guess.

It was just a few years ago that every single GOP judge in Dallas County lost.

Every single one.

Dallas is moving hard to the left. Of course, the poorer area that I am in has always been to the left.