cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Solo: Lost at Sea

I just watched this program on National Geographic Channel. This was incredibly emotional. It is a guy from Australia trying to solo kayak to New Zealand. There is footage they recovered from the Kayak and there is other footage from on shore with the support team. VERY stirring, especially when he is leaving his family on shore.
If it replays, you should catch it.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I just watched this program on National Geographic Channel. This was incredibly emotional. It is a guy from Australia trying to solo kayak to New Zealand. There is footage they recovered from the Kayak and there is other footage from on shore with the support team. VERY stirring, especially when he is leaving his family on shore.
If it replays, you should catch it.
You said "recovered"...Did he not make it?

I'm not sure I want hear that footage...
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

***SPOILER***

He did not make it. His body was never recovered. He made an emergency satellite phone call 30 kilometers from New Zealand saying his kayak was taking on water. Very sad. His friend talks about how his son will grow up knowing only of his fathers weaknesses, as that is what killed him.

You should watch it.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote