cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Facebook

is it just me, or is facebook dominated by women?

Most of the responses to the content on my facebook page/wall are from women. As in 80%.

On these durn message boards, it's 98% men. So it's a completely different set of rules.

I am crass here in a way that would not work on facebook (for a number of reasons). But one of the reasons is that locker-room type stuff just doesn't work as well in mixed company.

Of course, the other possibility is that I am so freaking witty and cool, that women are *attracted* to my facebook crap, and my experience is not representative. Yeah, I am going with that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
is it just me, or is facebook dominated by women?

Most of the responses to the content on my facebook page/wall are from women. As in 80%.

On these durn message boards, it's 98% men. So it's a completely different set of rules.

I am crass here in a way that would not work on facebook (for a number of reasons). But one of the reasons is that locker-room type stuff just doesn't work as well in mixed company.

Of course, the other possibility is that I am so freaking witty and cool, that women are *attracted* to my facebook crap, and my experience is not representative. Yeah, I am going with that.
Interactions on Facebook definitely differ. One can't be as controversial there.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Facebook was fun two years ago when they switched it from college-only to an open enrollment, and 100 million peeps suddenly signed up. It was nice to reconnect with so many people. who I'd wondered about for ages.

Nowadays though it's the same 10% of my friends who fill my live feed over and over: they update their status every few hours, set every application they play with to publish what they've done, and their comments on photos and everything. The other 90% of my friends never say a word. Admittedly I find my interest waning.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You can block application updates to your feed (like Mafia Wars). You can also block people in the feed (i.e. that annoying person who updates 40 times a day about nothing).

I've been doing a social experiment. Not adding people, but merely seeing who adds me. (I've added probably 5 people total).

The occasional person shows up out of the blue, that you barely remember, and end up connecting and that can be fun.

I've also become a lot closer to some people now than I ever was in real life. As in, now if I go to the high school reunion, I might actually have a reason to chat.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha I joked with my student body pres that thanks to facebook, we won't have to hold a reunion. Nearly everyone who I wondered about for years, I now know all about them. I look at where they went to college, where they work, see their photos, and I'm done. There's the occasional "let's do lunch" if they're local, and that's that.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote