cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can someone explain to me Dick Harmon's latest article

about Jon Beck? Do the cougar faithfull really think that byu will win the conference next year and Jon Beck will be the #1 qb
Old 01-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't explain it, and I don't believe it.

BYU is sadly a mediocre program mired in the depths of stuff I dare not describe.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can someone explain to me Dick Harmon's latest article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
about Jon Beck? Do the cougar faithfull really think that byu will win the conference next year and Jon Beck will be the #1 qb
I'm not sure if they'll win the conference, simply because there are so many questions on defense. The offense will be strong, though. The offense was very good this past year and will be even better next year -- we return almost everybody.

I've never been a huge Beck fan, but he was the MWC all-conference QB last year. I also believe I read somewhere that Mel Kiper rated him as the #5 junior QB in the country last year. If Mel Kiper thinks the guy is good, then I'll take his word for it.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
Beck already is the #1 QB, since he was 1st team all-MWC in 2005. As for the conference title, that all hangs on the defense and special teams catching up with a veteran and potent offense.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Can't explain it, and I don't believe it.

BYU is sadly a mediocre program mired in the depths of stuff I dare not describe.
Your mental powers are less then amazing It shouldn't be to terribly difficult to explain.

We are returning a pretty good offense that now has a year behind them in what is developing into a decent system.

Our defense will have to work into being worse then last year, we should have a pretty good upgrade in our corners (experience if not better players)

I don't see our run defense being much worse but I can see our pass defense being much better.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I also believe I read somewhere that Mel Kiper rated him as the #5 junior QB in the country last year. If Mel Kiper thinks the guy is good, then I'll take his word for it.
Say, how the heck IS John Walsh these days?
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU will do what BYU has always done...hope to outscore their opponents...I think you'll see a number of BYU wins and losses next year with scores by both teams in the 40s. They've got some quality talent returning on offense and experience at the key positions. The D wasn't that good this year and I'm not sure we'll see grand improvements next year either.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I also believe I read somewhere that Mel Kiper rated him as the #5 junior QB in the country last year. If Mel Kiper thinks the guy is good, then I'll take his word for it.
Say, how the heck IS John Walsh these days?
Are you implying that Mel Kiper is not an expert? I'm not sure there many people alive that are more qualified to evaluate college football talent than Mel Kiper.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
WaterCat

WaterCat
Default As one of the Cougar faithful...

I DO expect John Beck to be the #1 QB next year, as he was this year. He will have strong competition in the conference but he has the experience and the tools to put up great numbers next year. John has the numbers but he doesn't have the wins, which is why he gets the John Walsh comparisons. Isn't that the point of the article?

I think that amongst Utes there is the perception that Beck is a mediocre QB but that seems mostly based on the fact that he hasn't beaten the Utes. Frankly, I didn't see the most recent Utah loss as Beck's fault at all. His receivers dropped passes, his lineman didn't control their emotions and his coach didn't mentally prepare the team. Beck may have made a mistake at the end of the game (highly debatable) but if the team had showed up in the first half they wouldn't have been in that situation.

As for winning the conference, BYU will compete for the championship because of their experience on offense. Still, if defense really does win championships then we'll probably have to wait a few more years for it all to come together. [/quote]
WaterCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mel has been wrong from time to time, however i think the majority of the time he is dead on. Also give the guy credit he started out of his basement and look how far he has come.

One of sports true success stories. I still think he lives in his parents basement because he spends his whole paycheck on mousse.